List of PS Cameras that shoot RAW

tonybynum

Is there a list of the point and shoot cameras that can capture in RAW? I know Panisonic, and Canon make one or

two, but are there any others? I'm considering only the smaller, PS units, not the larger "all in one" point and

shoots with the longer zoom teles. I'm thinking about the size of the 5 or so zoom's.

Also, i'd like to match a PS that can shoot raw with one that also has the shortest lag time.

Does anyone have any links or thoughts to share?

Tony

<p>Just get the Canon G11. It shoots RAW, and is the best P&S camera out there, hands down. Even if you find something comparable by another brand, you won't likely find a hotshoe with 1/500 sync for professional flash control. And Canon's next-gen high-ISO output is legendary. It's a little bigger than most P&S's, but also offers full-manual everything control for the best experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there a list of the point and shoot cameras that can capture in RAW?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Look to <a href="http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK">CHDK for Canon P&S</a> . This expands to 20 or 30 the number of Canon cameras that will record in raw (or the more preferable DNG.) You'll have to cross reference this list against Canon's current offerings, but at least a couple of the super compact models should hit.</p>

<p>I use CHDK on an old A720IS. Pretty cool actually: DNG capture on a $100 digicam.</p>

<p>I an really contemplating getting a Canon S90. I have been using the Fuji Natura instead of a digital point and shoot, because they are mostly crap for image quality, especially at high ISO. The Ricoh GR Digital has also tempted me. Perhaps I will get both, run a side by side, and then decide which to keep and which to sell.</p>

<p>i considered the LX3, an s90 and a G11 for my upcoming trip to mexico city and cuba. i will also be taking a DSLR for artistic stuff and shots which require set-up, but wanted a P&S for discreet street shooting. ultimately, i couldn't justify $400+, though each seem like very fine cameras. i may still get a G11, but its almost like a midsize. ultimately i found a deal on the panasonic lz8 for around 100 clams. it shoots RAW, has manual, shutter, and aperture priority modes, a 5x zoom, adjustable WB and a leica lens, and very good low-light ability for its class, according to DPreview. its probably the best deal going at that price, though obviously i dont expect DSLR performance from it.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>What's the best combination for RAW on a P&S? The best Canon candidate I found is the SD980 which has a 24mm lens. However, it is touchscreen and I worry about usability. Also it is not cheap at 300 USD. Any other candidates at this price range with a similar lens?</p>

The SD890 does not support RAW, except insofar as you can install CHDK into the firmware and use UFRAW to convert into DNG. Adobe does not support CHDK directly. This would be true of most (older) Canon SD models, so just pick one you like without touch-screen.

Canon S90 and Ricoh GXR are the smallest zoom P&S cameras with RAW mode.

<p>Bill,<br>

To elaborate on your response, are there Canon P&S cameras that are <em>more</em> compatible with CHDK than others? That is to say, can they out a RAW-type file that is directly supported by Adobe? Or can they at least be easily converted using the RAW to DNG program supplied by Adobe? The S90 seems like a great camera, but the lens is not wide enough for my taste (only 28mm)</p>

<p>David</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... are there Canon P&S cameras that are <em>more</em> compatible with CHDK than others?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Check with the <a href="http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK">compatibility list on the CHDK web site</a> . I use a Canon A720 with CHDK. It can natively records to DNG. </p>

<p>As an aside, the <a href="http://www.insflug.org/raw/">dcraw program </a> will convert CHDK raw files as well.</p>

<p>Re: "I recommend the G11 over the S90 due to higher image quality and better handling"<br>

The G11 does not have the front control ring of the S90 and most of the tests I have read say the S90 performs better than the G11 at higher ISOs. DXOMark ( http://dxomark.com )seems to confirm these other tests. The negatives of the S90 over the G11 are the lack of of a hotshoe and the rather lose back control wheel.<br>

I chose the S90 over the G11...it fits in my shirt pocket or coat pocket and I carry it all day. The control wheel issue simply requires some time to adjust. I also solved the lack of a hot shoe by using a Wein optical synch and putting my flash and the optical sync on a flash bracket. With the camera flash set to low power I can trigger the flash with no impact from the on camera flash . My Sunpak 383 synchs perfectly at 1/500sec via the Wein trigger.<br>

Also the handling of the S90 is greatly improved by the addition of the Richard Franic's S90 Grip (see http://lensmateonline.com )</p>

<p>I gotta say after a couple days of research, I think the best camera for my criteria is the Panasonic LX3. It has native RAW and has a 24mm lens, whereas the S90 only has a 28. The prices are exactly the same (from Amazon anyway). Anyone have any input on this?</p>

The S90 lens is much worse than the G11 lens, although it is true that the S90 is somewhat smoother at high ISO (not significantly so). If the LX3 lens is long enough for you, go for it. G11 has superb handling in my opinion, but it lacks 3:2 mode, which is easy to set on the LX3. The only caveat is that the LX4 will be arriving soon.