Humidity and 40d

asta_tobiassen

<p>I currently own a 40d. Last year I spent a few days in the Ecuadorian Amazon. It was very humid while I was there and after the second day I could not read the digital settings in the view finder. The problem resolved a few days after leaving that region to a drier one. I will be spending a few weeks in Costa Rica next year and I am concerned the longer stay in a high humidity environment will cause more problems than I previously experienced. Does anyone have experience with the 40d in high humidity? Would investing in 7d make sense? <br>

Thank you,<br>

Asta</p>

<p>I live in the tropics and high temps and humidity are the norm. I suppose Amazon jungles trump the beaches and rain forests of Hawaii. Nevertheless I've never had problems with my old 40D save when I got drunk at a wedding and left the AC ballroom for the pool and suffered condensation on sunglasses and camera.</p>

<p>Now if you need an excuse to buy a 7D, be my guest. It's a great camera and a real upgrade from your 40D in most ways, especially AF and flash metering.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Asta, I had exactly that problem many years ago when using my EOS-1 in Madeira – a sudden partial loss of VF information, with some display segments faint and some lost. I was not aware of exposing the camera to anything unusual in the way of moisture, and the EOS-3 I was using alongside it was unaffected, but still, moisture might have been the cause. Operation of the EOS-1 was otherwise unaffected, and the display came fully back to life progressively over the next twelve months and never caused any further problem until I sold the camera to upgrade to a 1V. </p>

<p>I have shot in rain forest and jungle conditions. If my gear becomes noticeably moist with dew or humidity, unless I am in the bush, I use the hotels blow drier or I barrow one to shoot my gear with, Caution: watch the heat setting. This works quicker than going to a dry climate. Silica gel packets are a must in these conditions.</p>