Without having to open up each one and convert it.....

<p>....is there anyway to convert a group of RAW files...?<br>

WITHOUT having to open each one up individually...?<br>

Gave somebody a bunch of .cr2 and they cant work with them....<br>

PLEASE tell me there is someway to make them .jpgs easily.........</p>

<p>*crosses fingers*</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Even Google's free Picassa can do batch processing -> JPG or TIFF. As can several other packages. Every camera manufacturer offers at least a rudimentary piece of free software that can handle simple batching, and then it can get much more elablorate from there.</p>

<p>You didn't give us any info on the programs you already use.</p>

<p>You can use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to Batch Process all of your CR2 files. If you just open the program, select all of the files then batch process you'll get everything that you would have gotten had you just shot Jpeg. Or you can convert to Tiffs if you want the size of the files.</p>

<p>You can also do much the same thing in ZoomBrowser (ImageBrowser on Mac).</p>

<p>There's also third party converters, but many of them will not retain the picture styles and other settings as DPP or Zb does. I've read a few complaints that peoples RAW files look dull, plain, unsaturated, etc... Canon's software is the only ones that will let the ones you shot as black and white remain black and white, and the color ones as color, and the ones you upped the saturation with full saturation, etc without having to change anything. Any other program you'd have to tell the program what settings you used at the time of capture, so what's the point.</p>

<p>http://www.usa.canon.com/content/dpp2/index.html</p>

<p>Why would you want to do this? The benefit of RAW is added control in post processing. If you are going to batch process to JPG, why not just shoot in JPG in the first place? I usually shoot RAW+JPG, which enables me to use the JPG's right away if I want to, and also tinker with the RAW when I feel I need to.</p>

<p>You didn't mention what camera/system you have, but the fact that you mentioned .CR2 files would have us know that you are a Canon-nite. There are several pieces of software that came with your camera. One of them is the excellent DPP ~ which was built to do these 'batch conversions'. By the way, the latest version of DPP is now version 3.7.2.0.</p>

<p>You can use Adobe Bridge to apply ACR settings to a batch of files without opening or viewing individual files. If you prefer to see what you're doing, you can import them into Lightroom (or Aperture) and execute the same settings on a batch of images, again without really opening them. The advantage of Lightroom is that you can sort similar images into groups for batch treatment.</p>

<p>Either Bridge or Lightroom can convert batches of RAW images into JPEG and/or TIFF files through Photoshop. While each file is opened and saved, you don't have to be there. The free utility, Nikonview, also has a mass JPG conversion tool, but you fly completely blind. If your time has no particular value, you can use Nikon Capture for the job. There are many third-party programs that will work too, some of them free. Adobe is considered "main stream", and gives you a lot of flexibility and compatibility.</p>

<p>Any number of programs allow batch processing, although it's not always obvious how to get there.</p>

<p>But like Hal and many others, I always shoot RAW plus large jpg (cards are cheaper all the time). That way I have the thing according to my own settings for the jpg files, and the RAW image to use for any alterations, immediate or future (HD space is getting cheaper all the time too).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lightroom can convert batches of RAW images into JPEG and/or TIFF files through Photoshop</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lightroom doesn't need Photoshop to do a batch conversion. This is greatly increasing the work needed to convert. All you have to do is import into LR, directly from a card if you want to save work. Use a camera profile preset if you want that. Then select all and export to JPEG.</p>

<p><em>so i should've jut shot in jpg from the get go<br /></em><br />No! This way you still have the option of dealing with WB changes, etc., at your whim and with all sorts of latitude you wouldn't have in a JPG, and can still crank out JPGs for your customer with just a few mouse clicks. There's too much to be gained by having the RAW files to fall back on, and disk space is laughably inexpensive.</p>

<p>Dan Ferrel wrote: "Canon's software is the only ones that will let the ones you shot as black and white remain black and white, and the color ones as color, and the ones you upped the saturation with full saturation, etc without having to change anything. Any other program you'd have to tell the program what settings you used at the time of capture...."<br>

Unless I'm missing something, isn't this exactly was Nikon's Capture NX2 does also? I don't think Canon has any kind of 'exclusive' on this.</p>

<p>There is a good argument, if you have and can afford large cards and drives, for shooting large jpg <em>AND</em> RAW,<br /> otherwise, I'd just shoot RAW - you can always go from RAW to jpg, but although you can open jpgs and do a lot with them in Adobe Camera Raw, you can't get back to a RAW file when you shoot only jpgs.</p>

<p>The RAW files are like negatives, especially in those cases where the settings in the camera have produced less than optimal results in the jpg. It lets you go back to essentially the original data before it's been bent out of shape.</p>