Best low budget DSLR for Low light/ high ISO use?

leo_tam1

<p>I can scrape together MAYBE $500 for a DSLR for low light and high ISO (subway/railfan photography)<br>

Reading DPreview's reviews has the Rebel XS performing better than the Nikon D3000, but is it worth the extra cash over the D3000 (going to be using the kit lens for now)<br>

Also, how is the Pentax K-x? I do like that fact that it'll do 720p video in a pinch</p>

<p>The Pentax K-x is hard to ignore. I just bought one and am very impressed with its low light capabilities. I went to my nephew's birthday party and they turned out the lights when they lit the five candles on his cake. The photos I took at 6400 ISO are surprisingly clean, requiring little to no noise reduction.</p>

<p>Another one you might throw in the mix is Sony's A330, compared <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA330/AA330A.HTM">here in a review</a> against the XS and the D3000. No video but like the K-x it has in-body stabilization and its version of live view is supposed to allow faster autofocus (no LV on D3000). However, if you're planning on trying long exposures with a tripod then the A330 wouldn't be such a good choice as it lacks mirror lockup, which you really need for slow shutter speeds to avoid the vibrations caused by "mirror slap" (D3000 doesn't have it either but the XS and K-x do).</p>

<p>As a first DSLR all of these will serve you really well, but the main thing is that you go try them in your hands in a store so you'll know which one feels best for you. You might need to consider your plans in the longer term as well before you decide, because the higher-end models in each brand tend towards different sets of specialties.</p>

G11 is $439, D3000 with 18-55 VR is $549. The G11 lens is better with longer reach. I am not trying to sell you a G11, just pointing out that the D3000 and 1000D are not very good at high ISO. No reliable reviews of the K-x have appeared, but the ISO 1600 and 3200 images on imaging-resource.com look very clean, seemingly better than the G11 even at ISO 800.

<p>I am not sure what type of subjects Leo plans on shooting. If the subjects are static, I have had success using a tripod and a Canon G9 (yes Canon has approved IQ at higher ISO's with the G11)shooting at the base ISO. If his subjects are moving and/or he gets an entry level DSLR, I agree with Zack and recommend a fast prime (2.0 or faster) and a tripod and higher ISO's can sometimes be avoided. <br>

Good luck in your decision.</p>

<p>Taken with Pentax K-x with DA 18-55 F3.5-5.6 ALII kit lens @ 35mm.<br /> ISO 6400<br /> F 5.6<br /> 1/8s<br /> imported into Lightroom as a RAW and exported without any adjustments<br /> <a href=" Nate hides (Pentax K-x, ISO 6400, with DA18-55 kit lens) src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4187159056_a4a71f4798.jpg" alt="" width="500" height="332" /> </a> <br /> BTW, I forgot to mention that the Pentax K-x has Shake Reduction (SR) built into the body. That's worth 1-2 stops. Add in the high ISO performance (another 1-2 stops) and you've got 2-4 stops extra latitude to capture a shot. It reduces (but does not eliminate) the need for ultra-fast glass. The photo above was taken with the kit lens @ F5.6.<br>

K-x's with the kit lens can now be had for a shade over $500.</p>

<p>I'm also seriously contemplating the Sony WX1 due to its nighttime features. Daylight photography is rare for me (when I do its mainly street scenes) and I'm a night dweller by heart.<br>

Now this raises the question, having everything in focus is NICE (something I'll have to give up with DSLRs), so how much noise am I going to have to suffer with by dealing with a P&S/Compact/whatever people call non DSLRs and superzooms these days?<br>

I come from a Canon A520 where the noise and lost details at ISO400 kills everything and looks worse than a lousy cellphone cam</p>

<p>I can't tell you anything about the other brands. But, for Nikon, get a used D70 or a D50 and the 50 1.8. ISO is just as good as any non-FX Nikon, and you can't find a better cheap lens than the 50 1.8. If you can afford the 35 1.8, you might rather have a used D40 which is a bit nicer to use and has the same chip as the other two.</p>

<p>with the 35/50 1.8 on a d50 your low light abilities will be better than they would be with the kit lens on a D700. of course you can't zoom! so maybe it depends also on how important the wide end is to what you want to do.</p>

<p>I would suggest 2 options. I have heard and seen some very good results with the D40 at some higer ISOs and it can be found for $450 or less with a short zoom and then you can add a prime lens if needed.<br>

The option seems to be to look at John Flores suggestion regarding the Pentax K-x, I looked at his image here on this page and some on flickr.com and I was impressed.<br>

Good luck on your decision.<br>

Mark</p>