Is anyone doing LF street photography?

robert_kennedy

Since becoming a Crown Graphic owner, I've started to wonder if

anyone is still doing LF street photography today. While LF is

probably the WORST for street shooting when it comes down to

technique, technology and portability, it still seems like a

worthwhile challenge. Especially since we all know it was done

extensively for a large part of the 20th century.

Anyone still doing it? Better yet is anyone doing it the "old

school" way with vintage gear, flash bulbs, and pure "guesstimations"

when it comes to metering?

Robert I do LF street photography using a Super Graphic and 90mm lens focused hyperfocally depending on aperture. I shoot off the hip alot or hold it high overhead. Whilst it fun, I find that actually using the sports finder frame and aiming the camera is not the best way to go, so I shoot and crop as needed. The 90mm is good for this and gives a greater DOF. I also find that I like it on a monopod more for around the town landscape stuff. One thing tho is that it draws alot attention. Because of this and my idea to be more covert for people photography, I find a waist level camera better suited. I personally use a meter, no flash and HP5+ souped in XTOL.

I don't do the shoot from the hip or covert type of photography with my Speed Graphic that one can do with a Leica, but I feel if one uses such a large camera for point and shoot applications, one desires a bit of attention. But it does have its advantages. 1. it is a fomidable weapon, especially in conjuction with the original side mounted flash gun. 2. It has on occasion drawn the attention of the local authorities who themselves can make a fine subject. 3. The camera has a certain amount of seriousness written all over it, thus making it easy to ask people to make themselves available for your camera.

My technique is very easy as I handhold for 'found' environmental portraits of persons and groups which usually means I have the subjects attention and I can count on a static subject distance and lighting to make my aperture and shutter decisions as well as being able to use the sportsfinder for composing. I also opt for a slightly wide lens, either a 135mm Optar or a 127mm Kodak Ektar and crop later as suggested by Wayne.

One thing I've considered is taking "group" photos of pedestrians downtown waiting across the street for the light to change. I'd stand on the other side of the street facing them directly. The advantage of using lf in this instance is that you have almost everyone along a single focal plane at a specified distance. Additionally, in this case, perhaps the attention-grabbing qualities of the camera might improve the reaction by the audience. I'll be sure to update this thread with my results once I finally get around to doing this.

Regarding shoot-from-the-hip lf, I think that history has shown that people prefer 35mm for that. Once you give up the tripod and movements, I really can't see how the benefits of lf outweigh the disadvantages.

I started with a Crown Graphic when I was 14 (1972). For one year I shot everything with this camera, including photos at the high school track meets and football games. My photos made front page of the local newspaper (Port Washington, NY) several times. Then the Nikon F2 came along and I basically stopped using the Crown for hand held work. Till this day I think starting off with 4 X 5 was the best way I could have learned photography. I am also grateful that I had the opportunity to use a 4 X 5 for some sports shots, as this was unheard of in the early 1970's....but makes me appreciate books like "Graphic Graflex Photography" that much more. The Crown was traded in for a Super Speed Graphic in 1974. I have used the Super Speed hand held from time to time, along with my Super D Graflex and Linhof Super Technika V. The Super Speed is the most comfortable due to its lighter weight. I love the Linhof with a 75mm Biogon but it weighs 10+ lbs and this is TOO MUCH! I find that 4 X 5 hand held use takes a lot of practice, primarily due to lack of depth of field. It also forces you to be more selective of shots due to the bulk and expense of film. For me, the tonal quality of 4 X 5 makes it worth it. The Graflex website (www.graflex.org) seems to attract a lot of photographers that still enjoy hand held use of their Graflex cameras. There are even some that report using screw base flashbulbs in their 7" reflectors (I think this equates to the same enjoyment the owner of a 1957 Chevy gets when he/she takes a Sunday drive)!

Ray McSavaney did (and most likely still does) a fair bit of street photography in Los Angeles; so much in fact, that he became a fixture in the various areas where he photographed.

If you have an opportunity to see Ray's work, I would whole heartedly recommend that you do so. I had the priviledge of seeing about 100 or so prints at a Yosemite workshop last year, and they were incredible.

There was one particular shot of a fellow who looked like the devil himself (hair, eyes, and beard made him look, well, *mean*) that I particularly liked.

The guys name: Christian :-)

Yes McSaveney and many others including myself still practice street photography w/old Speeds and Technicas. It's a blast. The girls like it on the boardwalk in Mission Bay and Huntington Beach. I'm looking to adapt modern flash unit to my old flash gun housing because the thyristor burnt out. I use a 90mm for DoF and HP5+ or Tmax 400. Try it, you'll love it. Yes it isn't the same as 35mm gear but because it is different it makes you think about your shots before you pull the trigger. I just set my range by marks I made on the rail and shoot.

I want to do this. I have a Burke & James press that I will be trying once I figure out my whole darkroom situation, and can resolve my flash-shutter syncronization issues. That soulution will probably be to just go out during bright light and don't worry about the flash. I have the rangefinder calibrated pretty accurate, so if I stop down a bit I shouldn't have any probs getting a decent quick, sharp focus.

Hi Robert-- i've been bustin my lower back for 10 years now lugging my 4x5 (and now an 8x10, with hand truck) all over downtown Seattle in all kinds of horrendous weather, making color studies of the urban landscape. oh my, the stories i could tell!

check it out, if you're interested:

www.chrisjordanphoto.com

cj (Seattle)

Funny you should ask.

Yes, I do 4x5 street photograhy in the Chicago quite often.

Cambo Wide w 58mm XL Schneider lens. Lightweight, easy to manage, quick. A 75mm lens would also be very useful. Anyway, this outfit beats the pants off of my old Speed Graphic in convenience, weight, speed and shutter sound. The Speed Graphic was much cheaper, I'll grant it that.

Have used TMAX 400 and Bergger 200 speed films. The higher speed is advantageous for shadow detail, unless you want to convey movement with blurry subjects walking....

Most people aren't aware of a picture being taken because the shutter on the Schneider is so quiet.

Here's another alternative I just discovered today: http://www.littman45single.com/ browse the site there and look over the gallery to get an idea of what street photography with a 4x5 can look like.

Chicago must be home to a lot of LF photogs. I've seen 8x10 Deardorfs being used for model shots in the parking lot (now being built up into an office building) between Wacker and Franklin on Monroe. Last night there was a fellow with his Sinar F2 on a 12' tripod and stepladder taking shots of the bank building across the street. One of the most frequent places for seeing LFers is across the river, by the train stations.