Filter thread size of a 135mm Graflex Optar f=4.7?

stratvio

<p>A few months ago I purchased my first LF camera, a 1941 crown graphic with a 135mm/4.7 graphlex optar lens. I've been having a great time with it and have gotten addicted to the negative size compared to 6x7/6x6/35mm. One thing I haven't found a great solution for, though, is how to use my polarizer, color filters, or nd/nd-grads with it... I have a lot of cokin filters that I'd like to use, but the lens is smaller than 37mm thread size, and there are no adaptors that small. Right now I just hold the filters up to the lens while I take the shot, but that makes use of the polarizer and grads trial-and-error. I'd like to get a step-up ring up to 49mm, which would let me use the cokin 49mm P-series ring. Does anyone have a better solution? If this sounds right, does anyone know the thread size of this lens? The smallest filter the local camera shop had was 37mm and that was just a bit too big, so I'm guessing 36-36.5, but have no way to determine exactly.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Eric</p>

<p>You need to get the following:<br /> Slip on Ring- Series VI for 1-1/2 in. which is the outer ring diameter of the 135 Optar.<br /> Step Up ring- 44mm to what ever you want to step up to. The 44mm will thread right into the Series VI thread even though it's not absolutely perfect, I have been using this 44-55mm for years. You will probably have to use a double step up as the 44mm only comes in a couple sizes if not just the one. <br /> Get the General brand step up which is aluminum. It's only like $5 at B&H Photo. I buy the 44 to 55 and step up again for some of my larger filters from my 35mm kit. I prefer the Cokin A system as it is smaller and works rather well on all my medium and large format kit. <br /> The 1-1/2 slip on will also slip inside many popular Schneider lenses and more like the 90 Angulon, 105 Xenar, etc... Therre are also many other slip on sizes, and the slip on tabs often need to be slightly tweeked to fit a particular lens, but this is how they did it then. I just got a bunch and leave them with the lens they fit best, and I got a couple extra step ups since they are inexpensive. <br /> Best place to get your hands on a slip on is either out of the junk drawer at the local camera shop, if there are any left, and of course the auction sites. <br /> Hope that helps.<br /> SG Adams</p>

<p>Quite likely those threads weren't designed as a standard filter thread. Typical filter use on view cameras of that period was with Kodak slip-on adapters to Series filter sizes. You would measure the outside diameter of the lens, and get the adapter to Series VI for your lens. Then you removed the retaining ring from the adapter, put in the threadless Series VI filter, and replaced the retaining ring.</p>

<p>Cokin supply what they call a "Universal Ring" - this has three screws around its circumference to set the (outside) diameter of the lens you can use. On the box that mine was supplied in it mentions P 499 which I assume is a part number. The minimum outside diameter that it can be set too is around 48mm, but if you put in longer adjustment screws you should be able to fit it to a lens of around 23 - 25mm minimum diameter. This is somewhat of a guess so If you can find a decent Coking stockist it would be best to try one out.<br>

There is a picture of what I mean here:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Adapter-Rings/ci/9326/N/4291074967<br>

I use mine quite a lot on my 5x4 view camera.</p>

<p>I hope this helps</p>

<p>nn :)</p>

<p>well I don't know if it is 37mm or not<br>

I have the same lens and the same problem<br>

did my measurements and assumed it was 37mm so I purchased a 37mm to 52mm step up ring on ebay<br>

since I have 52mm B&W filters<br>

the step up ring screws on for about one quarter of a turn and then stops<br>

it doesn't screw on as nicely as you would expect (like other filters on other lenses)<br>

but I get enough "grab" so that it meets my needs<br>

works for me</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the quick responses. After reading comments and learning more keywords (I'd never heard of the series filter system) I discovered this topic has been covered before, sorry about the repeat. I think the 38mm slip-on->series vi/44mm ->55mm->cokin route sounds best to be for how I want to use them (as convoluted as it is!) so I'm trying to track down sources for those parts. So far no luck on ebay, but it looks like filterfind.net may be a good source for these kinds of things if others are looking.<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Eric</p>

<p>The Series VI slip-on addapter on my 135mm Optar is a 38mm. Step-up aAdapters are available for just about any size you want to go to, but are sometimes hard to find since "Series" filters are not so popular these days; I've found a pretty good selection on eBay from time to time.</p>