No multicoating on ND grad filters

vinidajackal

<p>I bought the Cokin P holder and a 2 stop Hitech ND graduated filter, but was not happy with the amount of flare & associated poor quality when shooting into sunrises/sunsets on a bronica ETRSi w/50 PE lens, where the sun is reasonably harsh. I searched a lot and have not been able to find any ND graduated filters for the P holder that are multi-coated. Why do we spend all that money on MC lenses only to put a non MC filter in front of it? I noticed there are pro film industry filter holders w/associated ND grad filters that ARE MC. Anybody know where to find one for my Cokin P without breaking the bank? Any comments to share experiences?</p>

<p>This might come as a bit of a surprise, but I don't think the movie industry views Cokin's P holder as an industry standard, and frankly it would surprise me if you could find what you're looking for. You'd do better I think, to buy a holder to fit the filters you can get rather than search for filters to fit a $10 plastic holder. </p>

<p>Equally with a bright sun in frame you would still quite probably get some flare. A big flat piece of glass on the front of your lens is liable to flare. Multicoating reduces flare , it doesn't eliminate it in all circumstances and angles. With the sun in frame the idea is to wait till the sun is veiled by cloud. With the sun out of frame you can use a bellows hood (a pain IMO) or your hand, or a map, or even another person to prevent direct sun striking the filter. You can even photograph from shade. </p>

<p>I've never met anyone who uses glass grads - they're just so expensive and break so easily that they don't seem a worthwhile proposition. Most of us that use resin grads find them more than worthwhile and have workarounds for flare avoidance. </p>

<p>thanks for your responses. The Cokin P holder is very popular & makes the most sense in terms of size and weight & compatibility for a landscape photographer that often must hike and/or backpack for miles. I did read in an older photo.net forum post that there was at least at the time a P compatible ND grad w/MC. Does anybody know where to purchase one? I am still shocked that the filter manufacturers expect us to put a cheap uncoated plastic or glass filter in front of a lens costing thousands of $ where the front/rear lens elements are minimum single-coated front and back. I am familiar with all the techniques mentioned, but the point is what if I WANT the sun in the photo at sunrise/sunset? that's when you need the ND Grad the most. And YES, you can shoot straight into the sun without flare assuming high quality lens w/coated optics - see attached photo using just the lens w/MC UV filter only and it has no noticeable flare (note however I had to use TWO exposures to capture this and photoshop them together - not ideal!).</p><div>00VFGc-200369684.thumb.jpg.eeff1c9ff9ad01d74efbf7159f4b84b5.jpg</div>

<p>I have not come across any glass ND Grads let alone multi-coated ones. In my view they would be quite dangerous to use in the field which is mavbe a reason you don't get them. Resin ND grads (uncoated) are one of the few filters (along with a polariser) I always have with me in the camera bag. Flare is an issue but then overcoming the problems is part of the challenge. I find not using a holder at all can help though you need three hands.</p>

<p>I would only get concerned about the technology if its limitations were apparent. In this case I don't think they are . In well-taken shots using ND gards you just don't see any evidence of degrading of the image due to the resin filter.</p>

<p> </p><div>00VFZf-200513584.jpg.45dda0c3c2a3097037e7e7185553c7bd.jpg</div>