second lens choice

carole_lehrman

<p>I have a Nikon d90 and the kit lens. I have an opportunity to get a new lens from a friend visiting Hong Kong. <br>

I don't want a huge and heavy lens but I want a good one. I've done a lot of research but am not sure what to do - a fixed lens say<br>

35mm but I can't get a 1.4 only a 1.8 Nikon lens or a zoom that covers beyond 105mm. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>35mm f1.8 DX! GREAT lens. Another good lens would be the 70-300 VR for the long stuff. BUT... if you have your friend buy the lens in Hong Kong and then you need to get service in the US... you might not be able to, even out-of-warranty.</p>

<p>I'd buy non-gray-market and non-import lenses.</p>

<p>unless you do a lot of telephoto shoots, the 35mm f/1.8 will suit you fine. it's a great lens and it can easily disappear in your pocket. will complement well your 18-105mm kit lens.......do you do portraits? how about a 85mm? do you go wide? maybe get any one of the third party wides?</p>

<p>the 18-105mm on dx is pretty much the sweet and comfort zone for most situations, for most shooters. so it calls for a somewhat specialty lens like the 35mm or the 85mm. unless you really want something of a longer reach.</p>

<p>You need to carefully think through what kinds of photos you take. What does your current lens NOT do that you want it to? </p>

<p>Peter--<br>

My understanding is that if you buy NIkon photo gear out of the country and have a receipt to prove it was purchased outside of U.S., Nikon USA will honor the warranty. <br>

Kent in SD </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I like my 18 - 105 lens but I find I can't get good bokeh with this lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Carole, what exactly do you mean that you cannot get "good bokeh" with the 18-105mm? Do you want shallower depth of field? It would be best if you could post a sample image or two to show us exactly what the "bad bokeh" you are referring to.</p>

<p>If you want shallower depth of field, a 35mm, 50mm or 85mm f1.8 or 1.4 lens will do, but shallower depth of field also means precise focusing will be critical; it'll be much easier to get out-of-focus images.</p>