Maybe i should, anyway, huh ?

stefographer

<p>I get SUCH great feedback from all u fellow Phonet'ers... i sometimes can't WAIT to pick yer brains...<br>

SO - have the chance to get a gently used Canon 200-700 / L4, non IS, L series which i THOUGHT was a 2.8 when i first contacted the seller... He only wants $500 for it- and i will be able to try it in person b4 buying...<br>

My only hesitation is like i said- thought it was the 2.8 - I would have wanted to use it in rather low light situations, and portraiture - so will the L4 be a huge disappointment for me, quality wise... Most of me is thinking no. I know with it's size i'd need a pod anyway...<br>

I have other 4.5 and 4 lenses, and am just mostly happy with them in less than ideal lighting...<br>

My lenses so far the kit 18-55 4.5<br>

Canon 50mm/1.8<br>

Canon 100mm 2.8<br>

wide angle Tamron 10-22<br>

But for $500- could i really go wrong (BTW- if i DO buy it- it would mean only taking ONE photo class at school next semester, instead of the two i had planned, although that <em>would </em> mean a more reasonable 3 classes total...)?<br>

WOT say thou, fellow shutterstuds? Buy or no?<br>

Thanks everybody, as always</p>

<p>I have the 70-200, non-IS f4 version. For my needs, I really like it. I bought it used for less than $500 this year. I haven't looked at the going resale rate in the past 5 months, but $500 seems a little more than I would want to spend. <br>

As far as the 2.8 goes, I wish I had one, sometimes. When I shoot at my son's football games, the extra stop would be nice. The rest of the time, I am glad I have the f4. Most of my shooting is landscape stuff, which involves hiking. The 2.8 weighs twice as much as the f4. For me, the weight difference tipped the scales (pun intended) for the f4 versus the f2.8.</p>

<p>The only problem with waiting for the 2.8 is that it runs for around $1200. and the only reason i can even afford the 500. right now is from 'leftover' student loan $...<br>

I came close to getting it when i had ALL the loan $, but didnt happen..... I could just wait till the next semester- but not sure how much i'll be getting...<br>

I wanted to know if anybody this i would be disappointed by the low light performance of the 4...?<br>

I know it's an L series, so in the right conditions it'll be awesome..., but in not so great situations - could i expect at least above averagely good-ly bad shots..?</p>

<p>Sean, the 70-200 f4 (non IS) is actually one of my favorite lenses. I also have the f2.8 IS version (so no owners bias here) and when I need it, I need it - but I use the f4 lens much more and really like it. The handling is great, the IQ is definitely on par with the f2.8 and possibly a tad better (although we are pixel peeping and splitting hairs at this point). I bought it for redundancy and oddly enough the f2.8 version stays in the case most of the time.</p>

<p>If you can't afford the f2.8 lens your options are limited anyway... I'd buy it for sure - see if you can talk him down a little - and you can always resell it if you want to later on. I think the 70-200mm f4 non IS is Canon's best deal on a great L lens and something of a sleeper. Used properly the image quality is outstanding - you won't be disappointed.</p>