39mm to Series 7 on Summilux pre-ASPH

patrick_j.

<p>Has anyone experience using a 39mm to Series 7 adapter for a UV/IR filter on a Summilux pre-asph with a M8? I wonder if that might be an easier and more flexible way. Finding a series 7 has been a challenge so far. It also seems that it would be cheaper. any thoughts?</p>

<p>thank you in advance.<br>

patrick.</p>

<p>I've never tried that, Steve. There is an E49 UV/IR filter. It might be too thick. I'll experiment with mine (gracing an old Elmarit 28/2.8 via 49 to 48 adapter. I think it would be cheaper and wiser to get the BW Series 7 filter, unless one has the 49mm handy and it fits.</p>

<p>Alex, it should fit ok. I use a standard B+W 486 filter in my lens hood. If you place the filter in the lens hood back to front - i.e. the filter threads facing forward - the two halves of the lens hood fully screw together, but the filter can rattle around a bit. If you place the filter the correct way round the lens hood screws together about three quarters of a turn before it begins to bind with the hood and there's no rattle. Either way, the filter is secure.</p>

<p>Thank you for all your replies! It seems that a B+W 486 in 49mm might be the easiest solution for me as they seem simple to get. I noticed though that there are 2 versions, the slim and regular one. Would both of them fit in the hood of the 35mm Summilux pre-asph?</p>

<p>thanks again in advance.<br>

patrick.</p>

<p>You may have a problem with the slim filter. They don't have threads on the front and the filter ring is slightly wider at the front than the standard filter. It's possible that its diameter would prevent it from falling into place in the lens hood - I use a standard filter, so I don't know if that would be a problem in practice.</p>

<p>However, what I can say is that when I tried to use a slimline filter on my 24mm Elmarit the lens hood wouldn't fit over the filter and clip onto the body of the lens.</p>

<p>I hope people are still reading this. </p>

<p>I surfed the Net and found that the B+W Series 7 UV/IR filter is nowhere to be found. Seems B+W are no longer making UV/IR filters but I could be wrong.</p>

<p>I put my Leica E49 UV/IR filter in reverse into a 12504 hood (used on the pre-asph. Summilux 35/1.4) and it fit perfectly. No wobble. Hood fully closed. </p>

<p>So, yes, the E49 UV/IR filter is the way to go.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I surfed the Net and found that the B+W Series 7 UV/IR filter is nowhere to be found. Seems B+W are no longer making UV/IR filters but I could be wrong.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you go to this site - http://www.foto-huppert.com/default2.asp - and search on "486 Serie 7" you'll see that they have them for 59 Euros - I don't know if the item is in stock or not.</p>

<p>I've bought filters from them in the past. Although the website is in German they do speak English if you need to contact them for any reason.</p>

<p>hello --<br>

very insightful thread, thank you all for posting. it sounds like the E49 Leica UV/IR Filter is the way to go in the 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH hood instead of the Series 7. The site above does seem to carry also the B+W filters as series 7 or 49mm version, so that might be an option also. <br>

on a side note, i couldn't find an UV/IR in town yesterday, however was able to try out a 49mm "slim" heliopan filter in the hood, and it seemed to work fine. I hope this thread will be helpful to others who are trying to use filters with this lens. </p>

<p>thanks again,<br>

patrick.</p>

<p>hello again -- so i was lucky i guess and was able to get a B+W 49mm UV/IR filter from amazon for a reasonable price. the filter does work with the hood as described above by Ted and Alex. I ended up using the rubber band solution, which keeps the filter perfectly in place. if placed in it's normal orientation the hood doesn't close completely, but there is no wobble. Either way works, but since i prefer compactness, the rubber band seemed "better" to me. On a side note, and essentially confirming everything written above, the filter is not the "slim" and i bought the regular sized B+W. So far I highly recommend this option.</p>

<p>thanks again to all of you who contributed to this.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>For both UV/IR, and IR (Hoya R72), I use 49mm filters in Leica 12504 S7 hoods. I put a very small rubber band around the threads of the 49 mm filters, and they tighten up very well in the 12504 hoods.<br>

When not using any filter, I use a 12526 rect. hood on the pre-asph lux to reduce flare better than the round one.</p>