Quick Poll - Trade 2 lenses for 1?

robert_g.2

<p>For my Rebel T1i I currently have the...</p>

<ul>

<li> <strong>EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens</strong> and </li>

<li><strong>Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens</strong> .</li>

</ul>

<p>Question: If you were me, would you (1) keep them or (2) sell them both and get the <strong>Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens</strong> (or other)? What would you do and why? Pros/Cons?<br>

(I like the range without the switching of the lens. That's what appeals to me at first glance.)<br>

Also, do you think the pic quality would be better with the 18-200mm?<br>

I shoot all sorts of shots, from landscapes, to wildlife, to people, etc...<br>

THANKS for all of your opinions. It really matters to me. :)</p>

<p>I would keep them both. Keep good notes on what you shoot and what you used.</p>

<p>After a year make an assessment on what are your primary needs. </p>

<p>Do you need wider? Do you need more telephoto? Do you need a faster aperture? What size prints are you getting? How much of a hassle is it to switch between two lenses?</p>

<p>Remember it is about your needs not those of other people.</p>

Seriously, the IQ of the combo is probably a tad better. The superzoom is more handy. To me that would not be worth the

swap. I'd consider looking around for something that gave me more options. Think: big aperture, macro, ultra wide, à

tripod, aflash or à trip. Or à course.

Have fun! Matthijs.

<p>The image quality of your two lenses is generally considered to be quite good for low cost lenses. The image quality of the Canon 18-200 is generally considered not as good, and not as good as its competition either. All this is relative though; none of these lenses are great, and none are really poor either. I wouldn't do it, but you might rate the convenience of one lens worth the quality loss.</p>

<p>I find I use different lenses for different situations and I find a combination of zooms and primes to be most effective. The 2 lenses you have are very capable and I would go with a 2 lens setup over a hyperzoom. Usually more zoom range = less quality. What you really lack is low light, that can be fixed by adding a 35 2.0 or 50 1.8. IMO a prime opens up a whole new world of what you can do with the camera and its also a lot of fun. Do you own a flash? With the lenses you have it would be very useful.</p>