Does anyone use the EF 35-135mm f/4-5.6 USM?

anders_carlsson

<p>Does anyone use the EF 35-135mm f/4-5.6 USM? Is performance anywhere near the 70-210 from the same old days? 35-135 strikes me as a highly usable range on a crop camera (~55-210) and would satisfy anyone who wants a "wide" and only moderately long telephoto zoom for a low price. True, the new EF-S 55-250 IS would be a hot contender, no doubt, but this one goes quite a bit wider.</p>

You got my interest so I googled it. Turned up a few reviews, an old Photo.net post from 2004 and even a Flickr group. I had the EF 28-135 /3.5-5.6 IS which might be a better choice and more readily available, but likely more expensive.

<p>I has one until recently. I sold it because it had significant overlap with my 17-85mm, and doesn't have IS, which I have come to love! The build quality and focus speed were much the same between them.<br>

<br /> I'd say the 35-135 overall had equal or better image quality (caveat: I'm not an in-depth pixel-peeper). It certainly lacked the degree of chromatic aberration that the 17-85 shows.<br>

<br /> It's weakest at the long end. I also have a 100-300 USM, and in the 100-135 range, the 100-300 seems to be a bit sharper. Again, though, I'm not a pixel peeper and have not systematically compared to two.</p>

<p>The EF 35-135 USM was leased in 1990 as the kit lens for the EOS 10S. I actually bought both at the time! It was Canon's first consumer optic with ring-type USM and FTM. If you like the range, it's certainly petite, fast focusing and decent optically. I used mine for a while with the 10D but sold it a couple years back. But yeah, it made for a nice "50-200" sub on crop.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter