A.L.I.C.E. & 'dorff, a match made in Heaven?

john_kasaian1

Hello! I just got over my fear of olive drab green, which I

contracted years ago while working for my wealthy Uncle Sam, and got

an A.L.I.C.E., the large one, from the local army/navy store. The

inside pouch handles 8x10 holders and the large outside pocket will

digest my 6x6 lensboard with the Commercial Ektar. Other outside

pockets can handle my loupe, light meter, and filter kit. The main

compartment is big enough for the 8x10 'dorff, focusing cloth and

still is less than half full. There are plenty of cargo loops and a

sturdy frame to lash on the ol' tripod---all this for about fifty

bucks. I haven't taken it afield yet but it is comfortable(so far)

fully loaded. If you're looking to tote an 8x10 this might be a good

option. Have any other 8x10 shooters gone this route before? If so

I'd like to hear your comments/suggestions. Thanks!

An ALICE is a standard army pack. They are very nicely made and seem to be comfortable to carry. They are also really cheap when compared to the, I think, way overpriced dedicated photo packs on the market. I looked at them at my local surplus store and wondered whether the top opening design would be convenient. I suppose it would depend upon determining the right order in which to back things. Anyone have any comments on that particular aspect of this pack? My shoulder back is OK for short jaunts off the highway or for working out of my car trunk, but I need something to hike with.

It's more than just the pack. It is an upper body harness carrying system designed to be used in much more brutal conditions than we'll hopefully see. The waist belt uses optional pouches for carrying things that the soldier would want to get at in a hurry like ammo or 1st aid kit. Our people in the Middle East are using the modern version allowing them to carry 100lbs. or so.

FWIW, my A.L.I.C.E. is a LARGE, they also make mediums and smalls. The A.L.I.C.E. I played with at Ft.Gordon was a medium and I think those are most common. The demensions of the main compartment(empty and pulled flat on a table) are 24"x 24"(60cmx60cm? I am metrically challenged--sorry!)The frame, as I recall, is made of a magnesium alloy(could be wrong about this.) You can have it in any color you want as long as its green. Its worth looking at if you find one in an surplus store. Cheers!

I checked recently at a local surplus store. You can get a new medium ALICE pack with frame for under $60!! I hiked many miles with this thing on my back while in the Army, and dispite cursing it at the time it is a very good pack. Comfortable with heavy loads, and could easily be used for a several day long trip. I have not purchased one yet, but it would be my pack of choice considering the price of any alternative. If you like an external frame pack, this has to be the most inexpensive way to pack a heavy load for a long distance.

mmm hmm,

search the archives, i've been extolling the virtues of ol' venerable ALICE fer some time. i can't afford anything that's made for photo gear specifically(wouldn't buy it if i could), so i adapt and overcome. plus, OD is my fave color.

photo recon,

me

p.s. 12guage shotshell bandoliers hold a buttload of 35mm canns. worn in congress with ALICE and no street thug in his right mind will mess with ya.

p.p.s. lash a machete to that sucker too... the kids call that 'representin' i hear tell... keeps the theives away like 100 proof DEET duz tuh skeeters. here's what i do if the streets are a bit crowded and i'm leery about duckin' under the darkcloth.... i whip out the machete and act like i'm scratchin' my butt with it right before i go under the darkcloth. i prop it up on the leg of my bogen, then hawk up a gigantic loogie and yell obscenities to no one in particular like i've got tourettes... then duck under the cloth... works great. none of that pesky, 'hey mister, what the hell kinda old camera is that?' sneakin'-up-behind-ya stuff.

LOL

I've still got my British Army issue "hack your way through Belize and Brunei till you drop" machete - I'll have to try that... I'm getting fed up with gawking tourists asking how old the camera is. Mind you, I already do the obscenities bit... that's usually a function of screwing up another sheet of 8x10.

To give yall(oops!pardon the Georgia flashback!) an idea of how big the large A.L.I.C.E. is, take a piece of string 48" long and tie the ends together making a loop. If your folded view camera will fit inside the loop, it should fit inside A.L.I.C.E.(the LARGE one) I understand the Large A.L.I.C.E. packs were used mainly in the arctic where extra gear for cold weather ops were required. I plan of using mine for snowshoeing, sking, and hiking in areas where my assistant, Milly the Mule, is persona non grata. Perhaps some kind soul with a medium A.L.I.C.E. will provide the dimensions of that model as a comparison for those in need of less "real estate." As I said my Large cost less than 60 bucks used and its already be mentioned that a new Medium goes for about the same. We're talking a lot less bread than what the alternatives will cost.

There was a song that went "...all the young girls love alice", but I

don't think it was about back packs. Anyway, I know where I can

get the cd, but where can I get the back pack? Any army/navy

store? A lot of the so called army navy stores around here have

cheap chinese knock�offs of u.s. army gear, not the real merch.

Inquiring shoppers want to know!

• 5 years later...

ALICE stands for All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment. It was a standard that was created by the ARMY around 1973-74 and is still today pretty much the same basic equipment. They make two sizes LC-1 and LC-2. Large and Medium. The Medium is by far the GREATEST pack. The LARGE is too large unless you are heading into combat or doing a snow backpacking trip. You need the extra space for warmer clothing.

For backpacking the medium is fantastic. It is just enough room to carry everything you could ever want on a two week+ packing trip.

There are places that will make modifications for a reasonable price. Even with the modifications you can still keep the load reasonable. If you pack it with more than 55 pounds of gear it becomes uncomfortable. www.TacticalTailor.com is the best place that I have found to make the mods.

You can pick them up at Surplus stores but the most inexpensive place to get them is on EBAY.

If you do purchase one you will first change the load bearing straps. They work without the frame and a small load but you want the aluminium frame that comes with it. The frame keeps it a smidge away from your body so you do not sweat as you will with an internal frame pack. They are best suited for guys from 5'8 to 5'11. Shorter guys don't seem to complain but taller guys, NO WAY. For some reason it just never fits them correctly.

So if you are looking for a great gear pack for carrying your camera equipment or just hitting the trails it is the way to go.