buying camera equipment - Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur?

john_lee48

<p>

<p>hi, I know there's been a post on this subject but it's 5 years old...<br>

i'm flying into either KL or Bangkok in a couple of days and plan to buy some filters (ND, UV and polarising), a tripod and cable release. <br />can anyone comment which of these two cities is better for price and product range, and where to shop? and how they compare to other regional centre s(e.g. Hong Kong)?<br />i'm actually on my way to London and eastern europe, but i don't say those as being better places to shop...<br>

I'm currently in China (Chengdu), but camera equipment here is relatively expensive and there's the language problem (I speak chinese but not well), not to mention the product range is probably not as good<br>

as for the warranty issue, I pass through KL relatively frequently <br />thanks in advance!</p>

</p>

<p>I live in BKK and would recommend either Photo Gallery (Silom Center shopping complex, right at the Sala Daeng BTS station) or Foto File (at MBK shopping complex) for equipment shopping, but you may have trouble at either place getting the filters you're looking for. Hong Kong is, no doubt, the best shopping venue. In Hong Kong, I'd recommend Tin Cheung. Another Bangkok store, Eddie Siu's Camera Collection, (Channisara Tower, near Robinson's Dept Store, accessible walking distance from the Sala Daeng BTS stop), also comes to mind, especially for quality used gear, but watch out for high prices. Sorry, but I've no info about KL.</p>

<p>I've lived in Bangkok for eleven years and have purchased photo equipment from most of the cities in Asia. Re your question, I've purchased gear in both Kl and Bangkok (and Hk and Singapore) and I find the prices in Bangkok better.  In addition, you will get a 7% VAT refund at the BKK airport upon departure.  That's cash in your hands.<br>

HK is still the class leader in terms of price.  <br>

There is no problem finding the filters that you mention at Fotofile at MBK Shopping Center in BKK.  There are three outlets at MBK so I recommend you take a look at each.  There is a large historical Canon display at the 5th Floor Fotofile.   It's worth a visit  Pretty good stock of tripods and cable and wireless releases.<br>

I've also bought from Eddie at Camera Collection.  He sells mainly used equipment and his prices are ok. Last year I bought a wireless trigger that was significantly cheaper than other shops in Bangkok.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Leo<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>KL has loads of good Camera shops amd a better range of accessories than BKK. Singapore is better then either. There's not so much difference in price between Malaysia and Thailand . Cambodia, can be cheaper. however you do have to watch warranty terms. In order of preference I'd buy in Singapore, KL, Bangkok, Phnom Penh. </p>