viewing NEF's in CS2, CS3

rick_helmke1

I've decided to make NEF's my standard now as jpeg's aren't as necessary to my work as they used to be. Right now I'm shooting a D1X, a D100 and a D200. Can NEF's be read in CS2 or CS3 on any or better yet all of these bodies? I have both and am about to set up a computer strictly for imaging use. Or will I have to spring for Nikon or other software? Thanks.

Rick H.

<p>depends on when the camera was released vs. when the specific version of PS was last updated but in general yes. you may have to update the relevant camera raw. </p>

<p>You might wnat to check out the free Nikon View NX which is their simplified NEF converter.</p>

<p>Capture NX reduces shadow noise visibly better than ACR. There's also a really slick feature in NX2 for restoring blown highlights.<br>

Best part is that Capture NX essentially free with the purchase of a camera and allows not being dinged for a new version of Photoshop (every time Nikon introduces a major new camera like Adobe is wont to do).</p>

<p>I got a full version of NX w/ my D300 but as I recall, soon afterwards, it became a trial copy. Possible exception was if you $$, for a D700, D3, etc</p>

<p>NX2 clearly has some great qualities but it's so marred by clunky interface and mediocre performance, it's hard to get enthusiastic about it. I dont really want to get into a whole NEF->NX2->TIFF (huge)->PS/LR workflow if I can avoid it but the quality of the conversions is compelling. We'll see what LR3 brings.</p>