Canon 7D orientation linked AF point problem

alemar_calambro

<p>Finally got my 7D everything is ok till I change my camera orientation from vertical to horizontal and the focus point does not change. I change the this setting to "same for both vertic./horiz." and it does not still change to focus point. I have read the manual a couple of times and switched the lens a couple of times. It seems this is the right setting however the focus point is not changing. Am I missing something or do I have a defective camera.</p>

<p>This is purely a shot in the dark, as I don't yet have a 7D and haven't read the manual. In many EOS bodies, there are some settings which only take effect if you're in a "creative zone" mode (e.g. P, Av, Tv, M). I know the 7D lacks most of the "idiot modes" (landscape, portrait, etc.), but it does still have green-rectangle, which was always classed as one of the idiot modes, and I think Creative Auto mode might also be one of those.</p>

<p>Maybe that has something to do with it ... if you're using green-rectangle or CA, try switching to something like P and see if this behaviour changes. Like I said, just a shot in the dark ... but it won't take long to test it and see if I'm out to lunch.</p>

<p>The 7 D is different from what you are used to. It takes some study to figure out all the unique focus changes required to get the camera to do what you want. I first tried to shoot like I did with the 40D, then used hit or miss for quite some time, and then Canon published the following videos on line. Go there and listen to ALL of them, as they often play off each other. This is a really great resource and will give you great photos in a very predictable way.<br>

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167<br>

I am a bird photographer, and went out today after looking at these (and downloading them to my I Phone for reference) and shot some of the best Egret pix I have ever taken. And amazingly well over 80% were tack sharp! Also better than I have ever done before. </p>

<p>I have change the setting to the other one to "select diffrent auto point" nothing still happend. I have change the I have change the auto focus AF and the AF grid too and nothing is changing the orientation linked. I also tried diffrent shooting settings. Have it work right out of the box for you guys?</p>

<p>I think I figured it out. For the "same for both vertic/ horiz" the AF point stays in the same point even if I hold the camera vertically or horizontally. The other setting it changes the AF point when holding the camera in horizontally or vertically from the last AF point I use in that angle. If this is correct I guess it is human error. I just thought the "same for both vertic/horiz" mean that if I have my AF point in the top at vertically when I change the camera horizontal the AF should be at the top. I guess next time I should "carefully" read the manual and the settings for what it is meant for.</p>

<p>If you set it to different, you can have 2 different AF methods for horiz/vertical e.g. for hotiz you can use 19 points auto AF, but in vertical you use one point AF. The camera remembers the setting and automatically switch accordingly when you position your camera to hotiz or vertical.</p>

<cite>I just thought the "same for both vertic/horiz" mean that if I have my AF point in the top at vertically when I change the camera horizontal the AF should be at the top.</cite>

<p>I can see how that seems to make sense, but in this case, "same" is with respect to the <em>camera</em>, not the <em>world</em>. If you pick (say) the uppermost AF point, then turn the camera 90°, you'll end up with the leftmost or rightmost AF point selected (depending on which way you turn it), because that's actually the same AF point you selected. If what you want is "select whatever AF point happens to be toward the top of the picture" then you need to select a different AF point for each orientation.</p>

<p>My thanks to DeLoyd Huenink for pointing me towards the Canon videos - I didn't know about them! Do I understand from them that I am no longer stuck with just the viewfinder as I am in the 40D? It would seem that live view can be used as I used to see it on my old point and shoot Minolta. This would certainly help my ageing (aging!) eye sight.</p>