<p>I'm a contractor & just bought a Nikon D5000.<br>

I have a:<br>

*Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18 - 55MM VR<br>

*Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55 - 200mm VR<br>

*Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 10 - 24mm ED lenses.<br>

*Tiffen:<br>

a. 77mm sky 1A filter<br>

b. 4 pac of others.<br>

I'm on a very tight budget & I need to shoot some Kitchens, Baths & a fireplace.<br>

Can you tell me what my options are and/or what should buy for my shots?<br>

Thank you,</p>

<p>Steve</p>

<p>Pretty simple, I think. You have most of what you need. Contractors, real estate pro's and those in related fields most need the one lens you already have - the DX Nikkor 10-24. The 18-55 is also good, but you will have have little need for the 55-200 for the interior details you want to capture, especially on a DX camera.The widest angles are necessary for interior shooting, like kitchens, baths and fireplaces. I would just add a quality flash with a tilt head like the SB-600, so that you can bounce it off the ceiling to get those well-lighted interior shots.</p>

<p>A tripod. A good, solid tripod. There are going to be times when you want to shoot available light because of how it flatters the room, but you'll want to do it with the lens stopped down pretty well (say, to f/11) so that you can make the most of depth of field. That means not pulling in a lot of light, and that means long exposures. The tripod is the way.</p>

<p>Having worked for a gas fireplace company - plan on 5-10 sec exposures for the flames or you will capture a wimpy fire. Also, if you can still get some - we used a salt mixture that was sometimes sold with the fireplaces (magic pixy dust) to liven up the flames a bit more as well. I don't think the material is still sold, but a gas fireplace retailer might have some in the "backroom". We had other tricks as well, but they would probably void any insurance/warranty.</p>

<p>if you haven't done this sort of photos before, you might want to be prepared to spend some time on it. quite some time in fact.</p>

<p>if you have the time and interest that's fine, but if you're a busy man who needs to get the shots done quickly and effectively, you might be better off looking up one of the local real estate shooters. you could try <a href="http://photographyforrealestate.net/new-direct/">here</a> for example...</p>

<p>Lights are great for interiors. I use drag shutter techniques and place a few strobes pointed at the ceiling to brighten up the dimly lit areas. The idea is to try and balance the natural light and flash to get and even exposure over the entire room. Well, that is unless you are trying to highlight a specific type of lighting (i.e. window light).</p>

<p>I would say that softboxes aren't needed. I would also say battery operated lights with radio triggers are a nice way to go. No cords to try and hide, you just need to hide the lights themselves.</p>