What do you do when this happens in family portraits?

theresa_skutt

<p>Please tell me I'm not alone here. You take a picture of a family with small children and several adults.<br>

One person doesn't like the way they look. The kids won't look at the camera, or if they do, the stress of holding them still shows on the mother's face. Another person doesn't like their hair. In other words, how do you please everybody, when you HAVE to focus on the kids?!</p>

<p>Time travel.<br /><br />Meaning, somewhere in between the first and last shot are all of the elements you need to do some head transplants, eye swaps, and smile surgeries. If you're using nice consistent light, distance, and lens technique, you should be able to accomplish a very pleasing composite that includes everyone (except for that intolerable Uncle Ruprecht) looking at you with both eyes, and not looking drugged, insane, bored, or like they just rolled out of bed.</p>

<p>Hey Theresa..Photoshop is exactly right. I wish that wasn't necessary but even if you feel you got a great shot...there might be one member who doesn't like the way they look or the look of their child so head swapping is something we do often. I wonder what photographers did before swapping heads was an option. Not only that, our clients these days know what can be done in PS and aren't afraid to ask us to lessen their tummy size, lengthen their legs, and remove entire people from the group.<br>

One thing that helps soooo much when there are children, is for the adults to remain posed and ready so that when the child returns that perfect cherubic grin, everybody is ready. Parents like to keep telling their children what to do which knocks the entire grouping out of whack, It's better that they let the photographer interact with the children.</p>

<p>Theresa some have suggested to me to transfer heads or eyes from one photo to another but that is not a process I have learned yet. The answer my college instructor would give is RE-SHOOT but I would recommend taking quite a few shots of the same pose since for me re-shoots take time (time=$$) and I usually only get one day for a shoot. I usually suggest the adults to have a beer or glass of wine before the shoot. Adults can be pretty uptight about being relaxed and smiling over and over. I do beach portraits 99% of the time and there is usually wind. I warn them in advance that this is out of my control and will not cancel a shoot unless it is raining, hurricane etc.. They need to deal with their hair. If you see hair in someone's eyes during the shoot or a wild hair then you can point it out. I always suggest that females bring hair clips, rubber bands, hats or anything that might use if it is really blowing, but then again sometimes the wind enhances the image for beach shoots. I like the windswept look in some cases. I had a family of 18 last week and it was no picnic. Luckily they just wanted a Christmas card and not the usual combos of every couple plus kids etc.... In the winter I only have a little over an hour to shoot since I shoot near sunset.No I did not get one photo in which everyone liked the way they looked. My main concern is usually the kids and females...especially mom/grandma or whoever is paying:)<br /> Kids usually are the important ones in these pix but nobody wants to look goofy or have eyes closed. I would suggest having camera on tripod. Get the group all set up for pose. Tell everyone to smile or do whatever pose is planned but YOU concentrate on the kids. Tell the group that they need to keep the pose and you will shoot when the instant the kids are ready. Since you have family posed and using tripod it is much easier to not look through the camera but instead look at family and watch eyes and expressions. Just have your finger on the camera ready to fire. There are a few gimmicks to get the kids attention. One that I use a lot is to get a family member to do goofy things directly behind you to get the kids attention. if they don't laugh then at least they will be looking. It will be harder to do if all members need to be in the shot so you could bring a friend that does not mind acting silly behind you or use a puppet or some kind of toy if a friend is not available. The main thing is to take many many pix. This could get boring for the family but it will pay off when you have 'The Shot''<br /> Ps..Take candids when they are not posing or prepared. Those can make great photos. If a kid is acting up then go to another pose and come back to kid later. If a kid is crying then don't waste time while family is trying to calm the child down. I do also take a pix of crying kids (even though the parents probably have plenty of those) so parents can use them to embarrass the kids once they are grown up and think they are too cool..lol<br>

Edit: You pretty much got all the answers while I was typing this book..lol I gotta learn that head swapping thing. I already know someone that I want to replace their head with their dog's..hahhahahahaa</p>

<p>Well the bad news is that I already do everything suggested, and still have problems! The good news is we're all experiencing the same challenges and are in good company. I have found that if one kid is truly unhappy about being there, any other kids are going to go downhill, too. Have you found that the more or less noise there is is a factor?</p>

<p> So do tell, David, what did you do in the old days? =)</p>

<p>Make it fun, mix it up, give the kids time to be kids (as in the image below). Prefocusing with the camera on a tripod will give you the opportunity to come out from behind the camera and interact more directly with the group. Takes lots of shots.........</p><div>00V99G-196595584.thumb.jpg.dd5c296533e264086b3ec5f7d8b0e677.jpg</div>

<p >I always let them have 1-2 funny shots, and then a serious, and maybe a couple more funny ones. and so on----</p>

<p >smaller kids are harder, of course, but talk w the parents and let them know you want them to stay ion place NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS - and to trust you...<br />I have seen my assistant use "FREEZE TAG" and it works most of the time...<br />they smile, and she touches them with a feather, and says "FREEZE" and then she snaps it, and then unfreezes them....</p>

<p >gotta say - wireless shutters and fast reload lights are wonderful :)<br />lol</p>

<p >(I am reminiscing back in the film days also...good times...LOL</p>

<p>Back in the day when a quarter (25 cents) was worth something, you could keep a kid in position by having him stand on it.....saying that if he could keep it under his foot throughout the shoot then he could keep it.</p>

<p>BTW, if you get the chance to work for a school portrait company for a few weeks shooting 250-400 kids a day for five days per week with a long roll camera, you'll pick up alot more ideas about working with the kids. OK, it's been awhile, I'll bet the days of long roll cameras are past.............</p>

<p>I forgot to mention. When booking a shoot I ask how old the kids are. If the kids are two or under and I explain that some things are out of my control. That would be little ones that do not want to be there or decide that today is the day to throw the ''mother of all fits'' :-) Most parents know from experience that the little ones can get moody (especially if they did not get their nap and your shooting late in the day) and often apologize if the little ones get moody, but some will tell you that their kids are always angels and will be fine.<br>

Anyone got any good ''little angel'' stories? I like when the kids act up so much that the parents pay you more then the agreed fee after the shoot is over. Kind of a bonus or tip for work beyond the call of duty. I have had this happen a few times. I tell them no that's all right, this is what I get paid to do. But they insist. Oh...ok, if you insist....</p>

<p>I like to get them into position, then tell them to relax while I set up and check balances - and I start shooting. Then I tell them that I am ready, and I take a few photographs. Then I tell them that I'm done, but please stay there while I check the shots - then I take some more. I usually get one that everyone loves - but rarely from the posed part of the shoot.<br>

Tony</p>