Advice on dealing with several inquires for the same date

matt_needham

<p>I only book one wedding per date. It says on my website in several places that I consider all dates available until the retainer is delivered and the contract is signed by both of us. If asked I always try to be clear that I will not reserve a date without the signed contract and retainer, and that I regularly book weddings 18 months to 18 days in advance, so I just can't predict whether a date that is available today will be available in several weeks. If someone asks if I have received other inquiries about a date I always let them know if I can remember, but I do get many calls and emails that are never followed up on, so I don't keep track of all inquiries.</p>

<p>A few weeks ago a bride-to-be called and made an appointment to meet with me next week. Yesterday a bride-to-be who inquired about the same date months ago called me up, and said they wanted to come over and sign the contract and put down the retainer. Today I called the other woman, and told her I was no longer available. She was pretty angry with me, and implied that she assumed I was saving the date for her. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened before. I get too many inqueries that seem serious, but don't end up going anywhere to save the date without a signed contract and retainer. Does anyone have any advice on how make sure people understand this? Like I said I always do my best to answer any questions they have, but if they don't ask I don't make it point to explain it to them in the initial phone or email inquiry. I don't want to come across like I'm badgering them to sign by saying someone else is going to hire me out from under them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Matt,</p>

<p>my MO for this situation is to let the second inquirer know I have met with one other client for their date and will have to check to see if that person/couple will be booking with me before engaging in a meeting with them.</p>

<p>If at all possible (i.e. I am not standing there being asked, or on the phone while someone waits for a reply), I will just contact my first couple and help galvanize their choice into a commitment or not. This gives the ability to then get back to your second couple with a "real" answer.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Like I said I always do my best to answer any questions they have, but if they don't ask I don't make it point to explain it to them in the initial phone or email inquiry. I don't want to come across like I'm badgering them to sign by saying someone else is going to hire me out from under them.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Matt,</p>

<p>This is one of those things that it's awkward but necessary to be VERY clear about when the bride first contacts you. I always try to say to every bride (or whoever's contact me at first) that the date is not reserved until it's reserved, which in my case is when the non-refundable deposit is received. I can take a credit card, if necessary, so if a bride decides today she wants me, but she can't meet with me until week after next, she can make the deposit NOW. I will at this point already have sent her a copy of the contract for review and I will have explained in writing that the reservation deposit is non-refundable. Once the deposit is in hand, I've got her name on that date in my calendar. Perhaps I ought to have a system where the contract has to be signed within some number of days after the date is reserved, but I have not done that yet.</p>

<p>Anyway, I try to say this to every person who expresses any interest - even though I shoot few enough weddings that this has, in fact, never been a problem for me (yet). And you don't have to badger them or imply that there's a high probability that they'll lose the date if they don't sign immediately. You can tell them the honest truth: It's very UN-likely that somebody will come along in the next week and be ready to make a deposit on that date. But the probability of it happening, while low, isn't zero, and in fairness to all your clients, you have to book first the person who's decided first. Be sure to say it in an email (i.e. in writing). I've learned that brides don't HEAR more than five percent of what I say to them over the phone. They've got a lot on their minds.</p>

<p>But your case is a little different. Bride B (who spoke to you for the first time more recently) actually made an appointment with you. After the appointment was made, but before it took place, bride A called you back and said she wanted the date and was ready to sign.</p>

<p>So here the question I have is, what was bride B's appointment FOR, exactly? Was it an initial get-acquainted meeting? If so, then I don't think she has any right to get angry, although I can understand her frustration.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if she's already gone through the initial getting-acquainted dance with you, and the appointment was so she could sign the contract AND give you the deposit, then it's a little trickier to know how to analyze this situation. A delay in getting together is always understandable. People have schedules and commitments to work around. That's why I give 'em the option of paying the deposit by credit card: They can do that without delay. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>I would have done the same as you, Matt. If someone enquired months ago and never followed through I would consider the date open for any other bride. You have no way to predict that the bride would come back months later to book, most couples don't leave it that long and I would have assumed they were not interested.<br>

If the couple you were going to see in a week were a first meeting, then I would have done exactly what you did and call them and tell them the situation. I'm not sure how she could be angry if you'd not even had one meeting yet and you had no control over the other bride taking months to decide.<br>

If on the other hand the meeting with the bride next week was to sign a contract etc, then I would have left it open and said that whoever got their deposit to me first got the date. Like you said a date is open till a deposit etc is paid.</p>

<p>Do you have another photographer you work with? If so, book him/her to shoot the job for you. It varies based on community but a lot of the time folks book the studio b/c of the reputation and product that studio produces (not necessarily specific photographer).</p>

<p>Adam</p>

<p>Matt, my approach is the same as yours.</p>

<p>I make it clear to all enquirers that no dates are reserved without retainer. I also explain that in cases where there are multiple enquiries for the same date, my priority will be with the first to provide a retainer, irrespective of which enquiry came first. It's a fair system - but it only stays fair (and effective) if you explain it clearly.</p>

<p><em>“A few weeks ago a bride-to-be called and made an appointment to meet with me next week. Yesterday a bride-to-be who inquired about the same date months ago called me up, and said they wanted to come over and sign the contract and put down the retainer. Today I called the other woman, and told her I was no longer available. <strong>She was pretty angry with me, and implied that she assumed I was saving the date for her.”</strong></em></p>

<p><em>"I said I always do my best to answer any questions they have, <strong>but if they don't ask I don't make it point to explain it to them in the initial phone or email inquiry.</strong> I don't want to come across like I'm badgering them to sign by saying someone else is going to hire me out from under them."</em><br /><em></em><br />The bold bits are the relevant points to address for better business practice.<br /><em></em><br />I agree with the advice in William Porter’s 1<sup>st</sup> paragraph - except I do not find it awkward at all.</p>

<p>This particular point needs to be a <strong><em>“must say”</em></strong> and a <strong><em>“must signage”</em></strong> – i.e. it should be on all literature, on your website in the contract cover letter and posted at your studio.</p>

<p>I note that you mention you have it on your website – add it to the cover letter if you send out contracts, etc . . .</p>

<p>My suggestion is that you make it a “must say” for all who take enquires or make appointments for you.</p>

<p>You are not badgering them at all – you are merely informing the Prospective Client of your terms.</p>

<p>There are some “must says” which are generic to every business – this is one which is common to the Wedding Vendor Industry.</p>

<p>IMO one cannot afford to let the Prospect “assume” anything.</p>

<p>In my other business, we have the "must says" written out, next to the telephone: we get a lot of telephone enquiries and whoever answers the telephone must check off each one of the three.<br>

We have the same system for any order: there is "must have" information and a "must have" deposit . . .<br>

The situation for a Wedding Photography Business handling enquires is the same - the widget you are selling is your time slot, and there is only one of each for each day on the shelf . . .<br>

You need to explain the rules up front, it is as simple as that.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p><em>"Was it an initial get-acquainted meeting?"</em></p>

<p>Yes. The only contact with that bride had been her phone inquiry to see if the date was available, at which point we scheduled a meeting. The bride who had contacted me earlier was from out of town, and we had exchanged several emails and phone calls, although she hadn't been in touch recently.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We make it simple. We hold dates once a meeting is setup. We hold it until the meeting and for 30 days from the meeting. That way there is no question. The timeline is set and they understand it. After 30 days they know the date can be booked by someone else. They also have piece of mind that we are holding their date for 30 days. In the mean time if someone contacts us we let them know that the date is currently on hold and we can contact them when/if it becomes available. We have ended up with waiting lists 4-5 deep for some dates. We shot 36 weddings last year and booked for 28 next year...so far. So its not an issue. Its a nice little thing that we do that gives couples a little bit of comfort in the whole planning process.</p>

<p>I agree with Steve up the line about holding the date when a meeting is scheduled. Your booking rate should be high enough anyway after this initial formality is out of the way. (If not then you aren't closing the deal right but that's another topic).</p>

<p>If after the meeting though, and no retainer is offered then all bets are off. This is when you reiterate to every fence-sitter that should there be any other inquiries, the first one to hit the, "pay now" button on your website will get the date. (The necessity of accepting online payments - yet another topic).</p>

<p>Hi Matt<br>

<br>

Don’t you love when this happens? Clients fighting for your time. Its a good problem to have my friend :)<br>

This is where sales skills or other known as business skills come into play. You def need to let a client know at initial meeting of the terms and guidelines of booking you. That gives them a good understand of your process and what is needed from them. Its just business, so don’t ever feel bad. Steve does have a good suggestion which he practices. Sometimes you just cant please everyone, so who ever gives you the check first, that’s your client :) </p>

<p>Matt,<br>

I have the same problem during the months of July and September. I normally will point them in the direction of one of my network photographers (after I have called the photographer and made sure they have the date open). This works well for me and most times I get an email back from the client thinking me for helping them in setting up photographer. I am located just around the coner from you in Topeka and would be happy to talk with you about networking. </p>

<p>You do was the Williams have suggested. Be upfront with them and in writing - that the date is open until you get the signed contract and deposit. It's not be devious or sneaky or rude or anything, other than protecting yourself and your business.</p>

<p>Since Bride "B" - the one who contacted you 2nd and you had not had a preliminary discusion beyond the - "Are you a photographer and are you available on xx/xx/xx" there is not a commitment there beyond - the current - yes as of now I'm available. Bride A got the retainer and contract in and signed - so you have an agreement with her.</p>

<p>My response to the inquiry is always verbal and in writting that "Yes, as of now I'm available on that date (if indeed I am) - but dates tend to book fast and I give the date to the first one who signs the contract and pays the retainer." If the bride asks if I've had others inquiry about that date - I answer as honestly as possible - but like you sometimes I get a lot of leads that don't go anywhere - so if I'm not sure I indicate that, but I also add that I do get a lot of inquiries.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with a lot of points made so far. We let the client know upfront when we set up the meeting that we do not hold a date until a retainer has been paid, if for no other reason that to save us with something like this comes up. <br>

However, if the situation comes up, we contact the first couple to let them know another client is interested. Giving them a chance to book with us before we even let the 2nd couple know we're availible. </p>

<p><strong><em>"However, if the situation comes up, we contact the first couple to let them know another client is interested. Giving them a chance to book with us before we even let the 2nd couple know we're availible." </em></strong></p>

<p>I was shooting a Wedding, (I think I have mentioned this on a thread before) - it was a Wedding from a referral.</p>

<p>A bloke (man) seemed to be watching me all night - not overtly, just kind of at a distance - he seemed "knowledgeable".</p>

<p>At the end of the evening he approached me and complimented me . . . he asked if I was free on [date], I keep a dairy, (write in with ink) - I am simple like that - I was free that day.<br>

I have no idea if we took three, one or six telephone enquires for that date . . . he pulled out his cheque book to confirm the booking for his Daughter's Wedding . . .</p>

<p>What would you do? (not a specific question to anyone) <br>

What’s the plan for that scenario or something similar to it, when you are Jonny on the Spot and a client has the money in their hands?</p>

<p>Hence my previous comment, about understanding that particular business model, but also mentioning it places more work and more responsibility on the Vendor.</p>

<p>In business I look to streamline systems, not to make them complicated, unless there is cause, reason and a useful output.</p>

<p>IMO, just something to consider.</p>

<p>WW</p>