Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED - Can I use MA-21 adapter?

c._grant

<p>Hi -<br>

Does anybody know if the MA-21 Slide Mount adapter will work with the Coolscan 4000 ED?<br>

I have just purchased one on eBay - minus all its accessories. I know the original slide adapter is the MA-20, but this is proving harder to find than the newer MA-21 - which is suitable for the Coolscan V + 5000 ED.<br>

Nikon's compatibility chart states, "Limited, Usable despite that there are small spaces left around the adapter slot when the MA-21 is inserted"<br>

- What does this mean? Is this purely a cosmetic problem... more to the point, is there anything that would effect the quality of the scan?<br>

You can see the chart here:<br>

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2123</p>

<p>Any folks with past experience?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I just took a look at my 4000 and MA-20 and then looked at the pictures of a MA-21 in a 5000 and I think you will be ok, it looks like it would be cosmetic. The MA-20 has a wider face that matches up with the door that slides shut on the 4000. The 5000 doesn't have the door and has a plain face so they made the MA-21 face flanges narrower. My only thought is that you would want to be sure you are not getting stray light in some how.</p>

<p>Dave - thanks for taking time out to look at your 4000...<br>

Thankfully, the MA-21 is no longer an issue for me - just this week, I managed to pick-up a 'breaker' LS-30 (Coolscan III) complete with all its accessories, including the MA-20 for a good price.<br>

I will keep this thread open - I think a definitive answer on using the MA-21 in older scanners would be useful for future reference...</p>