Lens update problem

MattB.Net

<p>I have the e-510 with the 2 lens kit. I just let the OM software on my Win7 x64 system update the 14-42 lens and the software on the computer said it was done. I followed the directions but saw the camera still had the "do not disconnect" screen up after I had unplugged it. The camera froze like that so after a while I pulled the battery. Now my lens will not autofocus. It doesn't even hunt. I tried checking if I could re-install the update but now it does not show up. Am I screwed? I'm hoping there is some secret way to force an update so I can try and restore it. Thanks for any ideas!<br /> Matt</p>

<p>The Olympus support web site says you probably need to send the camera to them to return the camera to an operational state. I live near enough Olympus to drive there, and had successfully updated my firmware to 1.4 for an E -3. I notcied an autofocus problem and drove the camera body to Olympus near me. The tech reset the E-3 firmware to 1.3 because "Japan" had said version 1.4 for the E-3 had a flaw as to autofocus. So there seems to be a secret way to reset the firmware and you might be able to navigate their telephone support maze to talk to directly to a technician and see if there is a way he can walk you through the secret process?</p>

<p>Thanks. Yes, in hindsight, I would have been better off not trying to upgrade the firmware. But now I'm in this situation and wanted to find out if there was a relatively painless way out of it.<br>

And to clarify, it's just the 14-42 that has the problem, not the body so I can still shoot with the 40-150 and AF works as well as it ever has.<br>

I have a support request into Olympus about it and have received confirmation they received my request but haven't talked to a tech yet. I expect I'll be sending the lens in but I'll let you all know if there is some kind of silver bullet fix.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>I followed the dialog box that popped up saying to unplug and turn off the camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You were supposed to follow the instructions on the camera, not the computer. The instructions state, "When OK is displayed <strong>on the LCD display of the digital camera</strong> , as shown on the right in the dialg box below, updating the camera is complete." As someone who has updated two bodies and several lenses, I've never had an issue of concern.<br /> </p>

<p>Afraid now the only thing left to do is send it in and pay to get it updated by Olympus.<br>

<br /> </p>