Choosing between systems Hassy v. Mamiya 7

scott_g2

I have just returned from a trip to the mountains where I took only a

35mm. After looking at my chromes on the light table I was less than

pleased with some of landscapes I shot. I made the mistake of

comparing them to some landscapes I took using MF gear.

As a result, I am trying to choose between two MF kits for general

outdoor photography. The question is which one?

Option #1. Mamiya 7 kit with the 43, 80, and 150 lenses. I love

this kit and use it for landscapes when hiking and some interiors.

The lightweight and ease of use make it fun to shoot with. However

it has limited applications due to the fact it is a rangefinder and I

often use ND grad filters.

Option #2. An older Hassy kit (500c/m, 50, 80, 250, backs, etc) that

has served me very well. In fact, since is an SLR, I actually prefer

it to the Mamiya for most shooting. Also I like the modular aspect

of the Hasselblad system for its versatility not to mention its

robust construction. For more contemplative work I like this kit

better but do not like hiking with it as much as the lighter Mamiya.

My question would be for those who have more experience than I in

medium format. If you had to choose between the two kits, what would

you prefer for this type of outdoor photography? (I am not ready to

move to large format, yet)

Thanks

This question has been asked many, many times-- but as far as

I know never by someone who owns both systems already! You

really don't have a preference between the square and the 6x7?

Sounds like the Hassy's right for you, esp. if you do a lot with ND

grads and because of the fact that you "prefer it for most

shooting." I'd find a good backpack and make the Hassy work.

First off, a lucky bastard with a Hassy kit *and* a Mamiya 7 kit shouldn't be bugging us with any questions :-). Seriously, what can we tell you, you have both systems already. I just got back from hauling a Hassy kit through Rocky Mountain National Park. It's hard work, especially at 12,000 feet. I think the neutral grad thing is a red herring--unless you use hard-edged grads all the time, they can be estimated pretty well with a rangefinder. For me, the critical advantage of the Hassy is being able to interchange backs. I was constantly switching between color and B&W film. I also like to do some macro work occasionally--not possible with a RF. I think if you normally stick to one type of film the rangefinder will be much kinder on your back.

I agree with you Barry, soft grads are as easy to use with a rangefinder as any camera. Just put some paint marks on the filter holder or rotating ring so you can line it up, like you would with a polarizer. I use a Rollei for 'contemplation' and a Mamiya 7 for treking and 'big landscapes'. Stick with your Hassy AND Mamiya, they are different beasts that complement each other.

I have a Bronica system and a Mamiya 7 with three lenses that I use side by side in the belief that the systems complement each other. I guess I use the Bronica maybe 70% of the time but it varies considerably trip by trip.

Almost invariably both systems go with me on all photographic trips, the Bronica in a Pelicase in the hold; the Mamiya and my film as my hand baggage. If I'm shooting landscapes from a car then I have both systems available and decide location by location which to use based primarily on format considerations. The complexity comes in cities where I generally carry one system leaving the other at my hotel, although if I'm really confused I can pack my bag with the M7 plus short lenses and the Bronica plus longer lenses. Format issues aside - and I can and do crop the 67 image to square and to panoramic - the Mamiya gets used where I can't use a tripod, or where there's just too much walking to manage the Bronica. The Bronica gets used where I need greater precision in framing, or in DOF management.

I have to say that I'm very happy with this combination and plan to maintain it; but if I had to make do with one camera then I'd choose the Bronica. SLR's are just more precise and more versatile. But on balance I'm pleased not to have to make the choice and the varying approaches I can take with this combination has rescued several trips that could have turned out really badly for me.

I don't agree with others that it's easy to use ND grads with the Mamiya 7 and the only way I've done so successfully is to buy a 2 stop screw-in. This isn't perfect- and indeed it's a really crappily made Heliopan filter - but at least I always know where the graduation starts and it's soft enough not to be noticeable. I can't see how you can position a rectangular ND grad by eye since you don't know which part of the lens will be used at each aperture/point of focus. If grad positioning is vital to me, I'm probably going to use the Bronica.

So I think the problem with the decision you're trying to make is that you're trying to make it in the wrong place. If both cameras are in the trunk it's much easier to decide based on the specifics of a particular scene or location than it is to make the decision in an abstract context. If you're in a city and you want to photograph places where tripods will cause a problem, then you don't have to be a genius to work out that you should take the Mamiya to those places. Keep them both.

I've managed to use Lee Neutral Density Grads with my Fuji GSW690, without

any major problems. But, these are soft grads, which does help a lot.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the easiest way to position the filters is to

remove the Lee filter holder from the adapter ring and look through it, trying to

get your eyes roughly on the same plane as the centre of the lens. You can

then position the filter according to your preference and replace it on the

camera lens. It isn't 100% accurate, but it works well most of the time. I can't

see why this wouldn't work with a Mamiya 7 too, certainly no need to buy any

more camera gear than you already have. It might be worth doing a bit of

experimenting with the Mamiya to see if you can get this to work for you.

The way to use ND grads with a rangefinder is to shoot test transparencies against a blank background with the filter centered in the frame, at your most commonly used apertures for landscapes. Put the trannies in a slide page and carry it into the field. You will then be able to estimate how far up or down you'll need to shift the filter for specific shots.

That said, a Hassy with W/L, 1 back, and 2 lenses (50 + 80) is not that heavy. Take a second back if you really want to, but for landscape work you usually have time to change film...or get one 220 back. Leave the 250 at home. Crop/enlarge (you'll still be ahead of the 35mm game) or get a Mutar 2x.

For outdoor photography and the 'convenience' of SLR viewing, may I throw a spanner in the works and suggest the Pentax 67II system. I have quite a number of friends which uses this system for landscape photography. One fella shoots lighthouses all over the world with it. Alas, it is heavy as a brick outhouse. But it seems to combine the best aspects of the Mamiya 7 and Hasselblad for your application.

Since this is a hypothetical question, I will render a hypothetical answer.

Scott

I go around carrying a Mamiya RZ. I tried the M7II but returned it to the shop because I remembered that I want to spend some time "thinking" about the shot before clicking the shot (although in terms of lens quality the M7II left me more than happy).

Also as others have said, I carry at least 3 films back (slides, B&W and colour prints for family shots). I would stick to the Hassy, just look at your photos and decide which lenses do you {bold} actually {bold} use to make the system lighter. I had to do the same because of knees not being able to take the weight as they used to.

Of course after that, you are going to have to justify to yourself (and maybe partner ?) why you needed both systems in the first place.. Me (?), I am still trying to explain 14 cameras in the house!

Marios

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my silly question!

To clarify, I own the hassy kit and am babysitting the Mamiya kit for a friend. I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Mamiya and sell the Hassy stuff. Hence my question.

As several wise folks mentioned, I really do not need two kits, as I am not that active in medium format. One perceptive fellow mentioned large format. This may be the place I end up, just not quite yet my friend!

Many thanks!

I personally would keep the Hassy system. You already have it and will do almost everything you want to do in MF photography. I find the ability to shoot different types of film important. If you travel it will be easier to find someone who can repair your Hasselblad than the Mamiya. But if you really do not like to carry all the weight of our Hasselblad system then I guess you should get a rangefinder MF. Have you considered getting a Hasselblad SWC?

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know if medium format is necessarily the answer for

landscape shots. 35mm would be so much lighter and easier to

carry with you. 35mm is fine for landscapes-most National

Geographic photographers use 35mm and their shots are

usually pretty good. I think the late Galen Rowell used 35mm too

and his shots are breathtaking.