Cleaning Focusing Screen

wil_ussery

<p>As suggested, a blower or soft brush used very lightly. Since these screens are plastic, liquid cleaner and the abrasion from scrubbing and drying are a virtual guarantee of scratches and smudges that will make you wish you never bothered. If you insist on an utterly pristine view, get a new screen; otherwise, look past the odd dust speck.</p>

You could try with one of those dry sensor cleaners. Pentax sells a cheap one that's basically a really soft, sticky bit of rubber on a stick, and cleaning pads you use to clean the rubber. You press the rubber straight onto the sensor, lift up, then "rock" the rubber on the cleaning pad. That effectively moves away any dust and dirt from the sensor to the cleaning pad without any scratches or residue. It works fine in practice, and it should work really well for a focusing screen too.

<p>I agree with Gary 100%. I avoid touching my screen with anything (even a blower brush) as I find it will induce static and make things 10 times worse. You could try a blast of some compressed air. Even if you manage to get the screen pristine, it's only going to stay that way for a short while, so you just have to learn to ignore the odd speck. </p>