Workflow with Capture One 5 and Lightroom?

<p >After some experimentation I am beginning to become dissatisfied with ACR. I am considering adding Capture One 5 to do my RAW conversions. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to integrate it into my workflow. I currently use Lightroom and would like to continue using it as my cataloging software. However, from what I have read Capture One doesn’t support xmp files and won’t save any adjustments made to a dng. So it seems I would have to convert to tiff with Capture One and then import the tiffs to Lightroom. So is anyone using Capture One with Lighroom? If so what is your workflow?</p>

<p >Note: I will be the first to admit that my photography is not at a level that warrants nitpicking about my RAW processor, and that there are 100 other things I could and should be worrying about to make better pictures. However, I enjoy refining my workflow processes, and after all, I took up photography to have fun. </p>

<p>Use Capture One to convert your RAW files into TIFs and then process in Lightroom. Capture One will give you more accurate colors, especially when doing portraits. One thing; disable the Capture One noise reduction, it's horrible and operates on both color and luminance noise thresholds. Disable it by adjusting the sliders to zero, closing out the program, then reloading. I know, it's round-a-bout, but that's the only way to disable it on a global basis.<br>

Phil Hawkins</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One thing; disable the Capture One noise reduction, it's horrible and operates on both color and luminance noise thresholds. Disable it by adjusting the sliders to zero</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There was an issue in a late version of Capture One 4 in which noise reduction was automatically over-applied to high ISO images. To their credit Phase One listened to the complaints and corrected it. I'm using Capture 5 Pro and have not noticed a recurrence of that issue. Instead of zeroing-out the default noise reduction settings, add a preset for zero settings. I also added presets for a couple of recurring high ISO settings I use with the same lighting.</p>

<p>Since you already own Lightroom, Phil's suggestion sounds like the way for you to go. I don't know if Phase One will ever offer a cataloging add-on. I use a Mac and other than possibly iPhoto, I'm unaware of a photo-specific, cataloging-only program for the Mac.</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>Use Capture One to convert your RAW files into TIFs and then process in Lightroom.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure what is meant by this. I would recommend making all adjustments in C1-5 and then outputting as TIFF or DNG to be imported to LR for cataloging. C1-5 Pro has some great tools, as well as superior sharpening c/w LR 3 Beta. The Clarity tool, in particular, is much better than LR's, almost in a different universe altogether. LR does have the advantage of local editing, but that can be done just as easily in Photoshop, as long as you are working with TIFFS.</p>

<p>Rob</p>