Old lenses but a new body?

keli_s

<p>I have a few old Canon and Pentax lenses and want to use them on a cheaper ($400-500) new/used digital SLR. Any suggestions for bodies that take the old lenses best? I don’t want to use an adapter and I'm fine with manual mode. I’ll mostly be doing daylight landscapes and cityscapes.<br /> <br /> Alternatively, I can also swap lenses with my photographer friend’s. So if there are any quality adaptable digital SLR cameras out there I’d love to know about them. Thanks!</p>

<p> "I don’t want to use an adapter and I'm fine with manual mode."</p>

<p>Your Pentax K-mount lens should work on a new Pentax digital body, no adapter needed. ie: K20D, K7 and etc. If those are Penatx M42 screw mount, you will need a simple optic-less adapter to use it.</p>

<p>Hello</p>

<p>Panasonic G1 which is a micro 4/3 camera will allow use of your lenses via a low cost adaptor. You can gt them used for about the price you mention. Keep in mind that compared to film the smaller sensor will make your 50mm look like a 100mm telephoto (which is good value if you ask me) but make your 24mm wide look like a 50mm (which is a bummer if you ask me)</p>

<p>so its swings and roundabouts :-)</p>

<p>As far as your Pentax lens [ M42 Mounting? ] you can get an EOS to M42 adaptor ring, I got five of them to mount on my Pentax lens to mount on an old D60 Canon EOS. I love the bayonet mount having finally found it with digital :-) I suspect your 'old Canon' maybe FD's so as far as I know the only satisfactory solution is to go with the shorter sensor to lens mount 4/3 camera body, or micro 4/3.<br>

You can mount more or less any lens but the critical factor is the sensor to lensmount distance, plus adaptor, means that they can only be used for close work.<br>

For all that, and it is what I did a few years ago, I think it is a false path to follow and one of the points of going digital is to step up to the automatics that the digital age has given us. My conversion rarely gets used despite the quality of the DSLR compared with the ease of use and flexibility of my pro-sumer cameras .. even my cellphone gets used more than the DSLR ... it is a true point and shoot and in my pocket 24/7 :-) </p>

<p>If the Canon lenses are EF lenses, they will work on all Canon digital and all EOS film cameras. If they are FD lenses you will need an adaptor. </p>

<p>Pentax has been gradually adding capability to K mount lenses. All Pentax lenses will work with all Pentax cameras.</p>

<p>As to the adaptors, when you use an adaptor you generally loose auto focus and automatic aperture control. For Pentax lenses you will have to manual focus and use the manual aperture control on the lens to use them. For Canon EF lenses you will loose both auto focus and aperture control. Since Canon EF don't have any aperture controls on the lens you will only able to use them at there widest aperture and manual focus. </p>

<p>There are no cameras on the market that will take Canon and Pentax lenses without adaptors. </p>