Carrying Two Cameras on CameraSlingers: Crazy?

marvin_israel

<p>I have been using a Nikon D300 with the 18-200 lens, but after renting a 70-200 and a 17-35 and seeing the results, I decided in a temporary episode of psychosis to buy a D700 and those two lenses. I felt that even with the ThinkTank belt I had bought to hold the lens not being used, changing lenses was losing me shots, especially street shots. So I decided that I should be slinging two cameras, one with a telephoto zoom (D300) and one with a wide angle zoom (D700). Following that logic, I bought a CameraSlingers strap which enables one to have a camera hanging at each hip. I just got these things and will be leaving for a three week trip to Thailand (Bankgok and Kanchanaburi) and Vietnam (North and South).<br>

Am what I'm planning on doing nuts? Will I be missing a lot of shots because the range from 35mm-105mm is missing? Can I walk through crowded streets and markets, get into cars and boats, sit down in restaurants, with two such cameras hanging off of me? I note that unless I place my hands on the cameras to steady them, they swing when I walk. An alternative is to hang one from each shoulder using the supposedly non-slip Upstrap. Another alternative is to have one camera in a ThinkTank holster on a chest harness and the other camera on a shoulder. I already own these things, so they are options. Does anyone have any experience having two cameras at the ready, one with a physically big lens, in crowded and varied urban environments?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> Before the age of sharp zooms, I routinely went out with 2 and 3 Nikon Fs, at least one with the huge F-36 motor, each with its own lens, and a near-20 lb bag. A lot of people did. One afternoon, I attended an Ernst Haas lecture. Someone asked him about how much gear he'd carried on a LIFE magazine assignment. He replied that he'd taken two Leicas, and three lenses. One with a lens on it dangled from his shoulder. The others sat in his battered rucksack wrapped up in his socks and clothing. He said that carrying too much diluted his concentration, therefore detracting from the image-making. It was an eye opener. I ditched several pounds, and my photography improved instantly.</p>

<p> Do I think what you're planning to be crazy? No... more like gear-obsessed, clumsy and probably counterproductive. Specially if you're talking about a family trip. But maybe you're one of the few who does better loaded down. And don't forget that Frans Lanting uses an 18-200VR as his 1-lens walk-around kit, and pictures from it have been published in double-page spreads in top nature magazines in the world and sell as prints from his web gallery.</p>

<p> My advice: If it's a family vacation, travel light, keep lens switching to a minimum, and have fun.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My primary interest is in candid street photography, but I am reluctant to get into someone's face; hence, the use of the telephoto zoom. However, I can shoot from the hip with the wide-angle too. But all too often I have not been able to isolate the subject from the background using the relatively slow 18-200. Also, it doesn't focus as quickly as the 70-200. I need to work fast or lose the shot.<br>

After you mentioned Frans Lanting, I went to his web site and read all of his comments on his equipment. His specialty is nature and wildlife photography and judging from his statements there, it seems he carries a bunch of speedlights, a tripod, big lenses, etc. He hires local people to carry the stuff. Perhaps you attended a lecture by him in which he supplied more up-to-date information?</p>

<p>Marvin,</p>

<p>I’m not into street photography. But my observation is that the best of the bunch use a

small camera — rangefinders are especially popular — with a moderately wide prime,

like a 35 on a “full-frame” camera. And the reason that works so well for them is that

it’s unobtrusive, unimpressive, and not intimidating…which allows them to get up close,

work fast, and get the shot without anybody ever realizing what just happened or stressing over it. Just an inaudible click, some guy fussing over some mechanical something-or-other, smile and nod, go on about your business. No big deal; nothing to see here; “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”</p>

<p>“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>I'm aware that some of the most famous street photographers use small cameras and work close. However, we all have to make allowances for our character deficiencies. When SLR's first appeared, I gladly abandoned my rangefinder camera. I was never able to compose with a rangefinder. In addition, I am very uncomfortable shooting strangers closely. I realize this is a defect in me, but I have adapted and I have gotten a few worthy shots.</p>

<p>To respond to the original question... I have been carrying two cameras routinely for the past year. I use an Op/tech "Reporter strap", which has the spongy cushion for the neck, and attachment clips for two cameras. They hang one below the other, and are very easy to use either one without getting in the other one's way. I have also noticed that most people don't notice the second camera, but then again, I am not very tall, so that might be the reason. Two cameras with different lens ranges is working very well for me.<br>

Louise</p>

<p>I've gone to Vietnam and India 11 times in the past 3 years, and each time, I've carried 2 cameras (24-70 and 70-200). If you hold one camera, you can use the other arm to keep the second camera from bouncing around too much. I've gone through the most crowded markets, onto small boats, across swaying foot bridges. And I agree with the post above, most people don't notice the second camera, except when you are actually switching from one to the other.</p>

<p>When you're in a crowded area and security is a concern, shift the second camera around to the front so that it rides on one of your legs. The snatchers are less likely to try to grab it when it's in front of your eyes.</p>

<p><strong>Marvin - "</strong> After you mentioned Frans Lanting, I went to his web site and read all of his comments on his equipment. His specialty is nature and wildlife photography and judging from his statements there, it seems he carries a bunch of speedlights, a tripod, big lenses, etc. He hires local people to carry the stuff. Perhaps you attended a lecture by him in which he supplied more up-to-date information?"</p>

<p> I read it in <em>his own words</em> in Outdoor Photographer, where he delineated the equipment he owns and uses currently. He clearly stated that his 1-body/1-lens kit included the 18-200VR. </p>

<p>"I'm aware that some of the most famous street photographers use small cameras and work close."</p>

<p> Not all used small cameras, but with the exception of Roy de Carava, Harry Callahan, Roy Metzker and Beat Streuli, no famous street photographer used long lenses/worked from afar.</p>

<p> Marvin, I realize your mind is made up, and you're just fishing for comments that agree with your intentions. As I mentioned before, I used to go everywhere (run, go up & downstairs, go into restaurants, take cabs, buses and trains, etc) with more gear than you'll be taking, and managed to make pictures. So, yes, it is doable.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Luis, I appreciate that you clearly have wide-ranging knowledge of photographers and photography. I did find the passage in Outdoor Photography where Frans Lanting's equipment is discussed.<br>

"Lanting’s most basic kit consists of a Nikon D90 camera body with a Nikkor 18-200mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 VR lens in a Tamrac pouch or daypack for casual outings, and he’ll bring along a small Gitzo GT1540 tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH-25 ballhead if he feels he needs it. Both items fit easily into a single piece of carry-on luggage or get checked in a suitcase at the airport.<br /> <br /> For a short domestic assignment, Lanting will fill up a Tamrac or Think Tank rolling case that he can bring into a commercial plane as a carry-on. It gets loaded with one or two camera bodies. <strong>His current workhorse is a Nikon D700 with 17-35mm ƒ/2.8 and 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 Nikkor lenses,</strong> a set of two tele-extenders (a TC-14 and a TC-20), one or two Nikon SB-900 Speedlight strobes with SC-17 cords for off-camera use, compact Lumiflex softboxes and a bunch of other peripherals."<br>

I don't know how a pro photographer like Lanting conceives a "casual outing." For me, flying from central PA to SE Asia for three weeks is *not* a causal outing. While my primary purpose is not photography, photography remains a very important component of this trip and I do not want to be handicapped by a not-so-great lens (my 18-200) or by the need to change lenses on the fly. I have an acquaintance with many years of experience in photography who has gone from using an 8X10 view camera to a point and shoot. I am at a different point in the experience/learning curve, so I am perhaps more like you were when you carried a lot of equipment. I *am* comforted to know that shooting with two cameras in your typical SE Asian environment of crowds, etc. worked for some people. Perhaps I will return from this trip convinced that I had made the wrong choice, but I do have to find out for myself.<br>

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful comments.</p>

<p>I just shot my first event using two D300's at same time. One with kit lens andSB600 and the other with Nikon 70-200 1:2.8<br>

It was a music festival and I had full access to all musicians/stage etc... My first time using the 70/200 for low light concert shots. What a treat hand holding the 70/200 with just stage lighting. I loved zooming in on their wrinkles and pores..joke joke<br>

Anyway, it was kind of nerve wracking making my way through the ''drinking'' crowd at times. I still am upset with Nikon for making those crappy straps (that constantly twist/ tangle) for expensive cameras. Plus my lens hood fell off twice on kit lens. Should be more secure way to keep them on. I was very careful about protecting the cameras. My biggest worry was bumping into someone and breaking the flash off. It was a fun shoot and got some pix that made me happy. Took around 800 snaps over 4 nights. Sold a couple Already. Let me see..so far that probably comes to about 20 cents per hour for my work:) I did it mainly to try out the 70/200, make a few bucks and get some material for local publications. Glad I saw this post. Never heard of a dual strap. I have a permanent neck injury. Not sure if this strap is for me.<br>

<strong>Is it very easy to unhook a camera when needed?</strong> I noticed the other night that I like being able to lay one camera down (while on stage) and not worry about the other camera bouncing around off my body when I needed to get in awkward position.</p>

<h1><br /></h1>

<p>The CameraSlingers strap goes around the shoulders and does not put a strain on your neck. It is very easy to unhook a camera because the strap attaches with a clip to an eye bolt screwed into the tripod socket of the camera. Because of this the camera would have to be set down on its side rather than on its bottom. If you don't like the Nikon straps, Upstrap makes very solid and strong straps with quick releases which are said not to slide off one's shoulders because the rubber nubs on the shoulder portion of the strap hold so well.</p>

<p>There are a several ways to efficiently carry a pair of cameras without the straps getting tangled. <br>

1. The Cotton Carrier. I would use this outfit if I were shooting professionally again and needed to efficiently carry a pair of cameras with flash attached. However, I certainly would not use this method for street or walk-around photography since it attracts a lot of attention.<br>

<a href="http://www.cottoncarrier.com/">http://www.cottoncarrier.com/</a><br>

2. Originally, I once used an OPTECH Reporter Strap which allowed me to carry a couple of cameras on a strap around my neck without the cameras becoming tangled. the problem with this method is that both your cameras are supported by your neck and that can become pretty tiring after a long day of shooting.<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-6501011-Reporter-Strap/dp/B000MVXCH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259336220&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-6501011-Reporter-Strap/dp/B000MVXCH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259336220&sr=8-1</a><br>

3. I now use the OPTECH Dual Harness and love it. The weight of the equipment is distributed across my shoulders and the cameras are easily carried. I will often carry the two cameras on the Dual harness beneath my shooting vest. I leave the vest open and my cameras are out of view but easily accessible. I am 6'1" tall and weigh about 210 pounds. I like the extra large size Dual harness.<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Harness-Carries-Binoculars/dp/B002IUOAFQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259336403&sr=8-5">http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Harness-Carries-Binoculars/dp/B002IUOAFQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259336403&sr=8-5</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think that if you find shooting candids to be uncomfortable (for you) if noticed, then making yourself more apparent (at least in your own mind) by having a more noticeable and cumbersome outfit, that you've kind of defeated your own purposes.</p>

<p>While I think Richard's approach would work well, my inclination would be to carry the camera that was my primary shooting camera on a neckstrap and the second in a "holster" type pack on a sturdy belt. It could then be retrieved fairly quickly and slung over the neck if needed. There's a lot of weight to two cameras and hefty lenses and the more it hangs only from the neck or the more it's free to swing about, the more it seems that it might be uncomfortable. I'd also likely rig the belt with suspenders to distribute weight. That he (and I and others) typically go through several tries at finding the "right" carry kit isn't unusual.</p>

<p>I think you may end up missing quite a bit not having a focal length between 35mm and 105mm the way you are mounting the lenses. Frankly I'd just use the D300 as a backup or when you need really long reach, otherwise I'd use the D700 and just take the time to swap lenses. With a belt pouch for the 17-35 and attaching the 70-200 direct to one of the sling straps (if it is the kind that I am thinking of that attaches using a tripod knob) and using a regular neck strap for the camera that should be relatively easy to swap between lenses quickly.<br>

Its never fun, but sometimes in life you miss something, and honestly I think this is going to cause you to miss fewer shots then not having anything in the 35-105 focal length range, at least this way you'd fill in and only be missing 35-70 (and honestly a cheap 50/1.8 for low light and fill in that range would work well).</p>