X-700 to an AF SLR. I don't have much money to spend on one. So,

I'm always looking for a good buy. Currently the N90 on B & H goes

for about 750.00 (body only). However, on ebay, it's selling for

about 320-350...w/lenses...used, but still in good shape. What I am

wanting to know is if this is a good buy, or do N90s general have a

low resale...are they in low demand? And one more question....What

are the good points and bad points about this camera? I realize that

is a broad question to raise, but if you own or have owned the camera

tell me why you liked or hated it or even loved it....

Thanks

Chris

The N90 was my first AF camera (after 20 years of manual focus) and I quickly updated it to the N90s/MB-10 when it came out as I really wanted the larger grip surface. I doubt very many N90s bodies are flying of the shelves at $750; I think the industry is overdue to offer large rebates to draw down the stocks and discontinue the model.

<p>

<a href="www.keh.com">www.keh.com</a> is selling 'bargain' grade N90 for $364 and N90s for $429. IMO, KEH represents somewhat of the 'high end' of used pricing, but they are reliable and they have good warranty / return policies. If you're finding either of those bodies with lenses selling from reliable e-b*yer's in that price range, it sounds like a good deal.

<P>

Good points of either N90 or N90s:<P>

<ul>

<li>Good AF speed</li>

<li>Takes most older Nikon AI/AIS lenses (huge marketplace, virtually anything you could want in a lens)</li>

<li>Amazing flash system when used with an SB-25 or newer flash unit; good high sync speed</li>

</ul>

<p>

Bad points of N90/N90s<p>

<ul>

<li>Single central AF point, not five points (no VR, tedious to focus / recompose / shoot; mitigated somewhat by the 'broad field sensor' mode)</li>

<li>Prone to viewfinder screw stress cracking when used with a flash</li>

<li>Rubber coating flakes off with usage</li>

<li>Got to have the MB-10 to use the camera with large hands</li>

</ul>

<p>

Once I got my F-100, the only time I pick up the N90s/MB-10 combo is if I need to shoot with two AF bodies with flash at the same time. OTOH, if you've got $400 to spend, the N90s is a solid performer and you'll probably be very happy with it.

<p>

The N90s is a very nice camera. But, be aware that to be able to perform a lot of the advertised features of the camera you have to attach the MF26 back (one of the most complicated and counter-intuitive gizmos Nikon ever produced). And the MB10 grip is pretty handy as well. By the time you've put together this trio you're almost better off getting a later body, like the 100.

My only real criticism of the N90s design is the multitude of silly program functions you end up not using after the novelty wears off.

The bad points; requires the MF26 back for multiple exposure and bracketing, not compatible with VR. The VR system makes use of the five focus zones of the later bodies, the 80-400mm VR lens will not function in VR mode but other wise will work on the N90s. The upcomming 70-200mm VR lens will be a G lens; besides loosing VR with this lens, you would loose Aperture Priority and manual exposure since there is no aperture ring on any of the G lenses.

Good points; the ability to use AI and AIS lenses (center weighted and spot metering only), rugged build, relatively high frame rate. There are several good AI/AIS lenses that do not have an AF counterpart. Some of them are; 105mm f/2.5 AIS, 35mm f/1.4 AIS, 50mm f/1.2, 105mm f/1.8. The 105mm f/2.5 is considered one of the best portrait lenses in the Nikon line. The other three are very good for low light.

If you are not interested in any of the manual focus (AI and AIS) lenses, another body you should consider is the N80.

The N80 can take advantage of the VR lenses but does not meter with AI and AIS lenses. With the N90s you would have a flash sync of 1/250th of a second while the N80 syncs at 1/125th of a second. The max shutter speed of the N90s is 1/8000 and that of the N80 is 1/4000.

If the cost is within your price range, the F100 would be a better choice. It will meter (center weighted and spot, no matrix) with AI/AIS lenses and is compatible with VR. The F100 has much of the functionality that the MF26 back provides for the N90s. If things like multiple exposure and automated bracketing are important to you, the F100 would probably be less expensive (new or used) than the N90s with the back. There is a grip available for all three (N90s, N80, and F100), the price is in the same range (about $170.00 US) for the N90s and F100 but I have no idea what the grip for the N80 costs.

I hope this helps.

Vernon