How did you get to where you are now?

minnie_f

<p>Hi, I'm a newbie here and this is my first post, although I have been reading you all for a while.<br>

Photography is only a hobby for me and I would not venture in this business with no or little experience, and I am at least a good few years away from considering myself a competent amateur.<br>

I have read the post about how difficult it is to become a professional in this area of photography and the very pessimistic answers received. When I hear professional photographers talking about their trade, their advice is always the same: Don't do it! I always wonder whether it is just a knee jerk reaction, aimed at avoiding having more competition (Cynic, moi?:-) I know there are many people coming here saying "oh I got myself a new camera, i'll set up in business" and then asking basic questions about DOP. But while I love reading your reactions, I always wondered how you all got to where you are now. These people are taking a huge risk (Can you tell I'm a lawyer :-) but how do you get to do it when you have a day job and that second shooting is so hard to find for someone starting out? Is it just a career for those who studied photography?<br>

I'd love to read about how your respective careers took off, if only to show all wannabes how much work goes into becoming a professional!<br>

Thank you! :-)</p>

<p>What is DOP?<br>

<br>

<strong><em>"When I hear professional photographers talking about their trade, their advice is always the same: Don't do it!"</em></strong><br>

I do not believe I have ever given that advice.<br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>***</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>"I always wondered how you all got to where you are now"</em></strong><br>

Several contributing factors, some key ones are:<br>

Hard work. Learning Business. Not making the same mistake twice. Honesty. <br>

<strong><em>***</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>"But how do you get to do it when you have a day job and that second shooting is so hard to find for someone starting out?" </em></strong><br>

A frank answer: <br>

Most people can't do 14 hours <strong ><em >work</em></strong> per day, seven days a week for six months straight. I still can, if need be. When it boils down to the bottom line - it is a simple as that. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Not really sure what you're asking, but I started shooting weddings to make some money while I started up another business. I went to photo school and apprenticed for a couple of years during high school, but otherwise, just jumped in by photographing friends' weddings.</p>

<p>While there are generalized, safe routes, you need to assess yourself, your skill and ability to learn, work hard, and stick to a plan. Then figure out how to get from A to B. Your way may not be the norm, and may not work for anyone else. Only you know.</p>

<p>I was a wedding videographer for 7 years (but still kept my day job). I got tired of the "business end" of it and sold everything though. The editing backlog was killing me as well. It was a nice ride though... I put 2 kids through college with the money. </p>

<p>I always dabbled in photography as a hobby and decided to get back into weddings as a 2nd shooter. I assisted a couple of photographers for free to get my feet wet and to prove myself. Now I just fill in for a dozen or so folks whenever called. I won't get rich but the dough pays for my gear at least.</p>

<p>As of this time I doubt I'll ever be anything more than a 2nd. I have no desire to get back into the business grind again. Plus, there's just too many photographers cropping up these days. I like turning over my memory cards at the end of the day and going home knowing I'll have nothing to do in post.</p>

<p> </p>

I took a few college classes in basic photography, then advanced photography, and finally a class in portraiture. This was in the mid 1980's. The last class I took was at different college and it was directly related to weddings. The instructor was looking for talented shooters to train; because his company was shooting over 300 weddings a year. Long story short I carried his gear all over the place for a few months, went to the studio weekly, viewed all of the weddings, an average of 10 weddings a week or so, then after a year I started shooting receptions and at the 2 year mark I finally shot my first wedding for that studio. This took about 2 years of time before I was trusted to be left alone.

Then I pretty much did what everyone else does and started shooting friends weddings, ran an ad in the phone book and the business picked up from there. In 1994 I left my full-time music job and started doing weddings full-time. Around 2003 or so I was too busy, actually turning down weddings, so I went into a partnership with a friend that also was trained from that same busy studio. We are still partners.

The Yellow Pages still works for us, but networking groups and word of mouth keeps us busy pretty much every weekend. It's interesting turn of events right now in the photo business. Most pro's that had there own studios are now working out of their homes and are hurting for business, so we hire these pro's when we are over booked. This brings me to the point you made about shooting as a second shooter. Second shooting jobs are really hard to find now because most photographic studios are really suffering. Because of this I would suggest for you to trade writing wedding contracts at a discounted fee in exchange for assisting a pro for free at first and then as a second shooter.

<p>Is it my turn now? Since you been following us, I think it’s only fair that we share our story with you. <br>

<br>

It’s actually a bit more interesting than your post. I never actually got a new camera, i borrowed from a friend :) I couldn’t justify spending money before i would actually make some.<br>

<br>

Shot my first two weddings like that, used the money to buy myself a new camera. I assisted only few times, but pro's wouldn’t teach me anything, so i decided that it wasn’t for me. Just like the other post, i needed money, so took a risk. No risk no glory, right? :)<br>

<br>

Guess what happened next? well, I found a real solid Corp. job with benefits, nice cubical chair and free coffee in the pantry. While basking in the florescent light all day and breathing in about 6 different lunch meals from adjacent cubical, I had my photography business on the side shooting about 15weddings a year + other small events for about 7 years. Every time i would show it to someone at work, they would say, "why are you here? you should be doing this full time". So finally one day I walk up and said "enough, if i don’t go for it, i will never do it". Never regretted ever since.<br>

<br>

I think the key was honesty and hard work. I always told my client what they should expect and what i can deliver. Even though i had no "classical" training, they liked my work and wanted to hire me. I always charged $$$ because if you do it for free, they will never appreciate it. I tried different marketing strategies, but the only one that real work is word of mouth, at least where i work and live.<br>

<br>

How do you like them apples? :)</p>

<p>Like WW above, I have never told anyone not to enter the field. Honestly I don't think there has ever been a more exciting time than now, and with digital the learning curve has dramatically decreased. Good photography is a craft first and art second. Like any other craft, an apprenticeship is critical. Nadine in her post above very casually mentions apprenticing for<strong> two years </strong>and attending photo school prior to "jumping in". I learned photography which included all the dark room work when I was a teenager. Years later I completed two training programs, one for shooting HS Reunions and another program that was specifically geared to training wedding photographers for the largest and oldest photography studio in Chicago. I second shot while the studios checked me out before they turned me loose to shoot weddings on my own and served as a freelance candid man for five established studios in the Chicagoland area. I joined PPA and WPPI, attended conferences, tradeshows, and several smaller workshops by people like Norm Phillips and Art Ketchum. I also shot school portraits for a pro company for a view months (using the same long roll cameras that I did the HS Reunion portraits with). I joined a glamour photography club and shot lots of model's comps. Later I joined NAPP and attended several workshops in addition to obtaining several training DVDs from Scott Kelby and others. I also subscribe to Photovision and have several friends that are also photographers for networking. Since the early 90s I've shot more than 500 weddings. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :-)</p>

<p>This is my first post here and i have to share my story. Over the last 4 months i have been setting up my business while still keeping my day job. I have offered free shoots to try and build my portfolio and you will be amazed at the responses i have had. So far I have 6 bookings, by time my last freebie is done 6 months would have passed. I have met with 20 or so couples, those that have not booked me loved my work BUT they all believed that "free is junk". I just could not bring myself to charge as a result I lost a further 8 or so bookings. (lesson learnt call it school fees)<br>

I used the web, built a web site, and spent $400 over 4 months on Google adds. I have invested in the correct gear, registered on bridal forums, working from 4am to 7am then from 6pm to 11pm on the business, while keeping the day job. Then 16 hours a day on the week end. At this stage every spare penny i have is plowed right back into the business. I have tried to work with the local "pros" but alas no joy there, which I now understand, with everything I have invested, I would be very reluctant to share that with potential competition.<br>

First and foremost this is a business with intellectual property and key critical success factors. I have a documented plan and re-access my position as per the plan daily. Secondly I take photos. All in all it is hard work, so if that scares you don't do it. <br>

Lastly, so often I see people wanting get into the game, but don't even have a web presence, this to me is critical, the people getting married are young, the web is their friend. Setting up a website, registering a domain is a small investment I pay $5 a month, BUT I have spent over 100 hours learning how to build the web site. If you can't invest your time and money then you will already be on the back foot</p>

<p>So where am i today? 6 weddings booked, 4 music concerts booked, first paying wedding booked, all before march 2010. Google adds switched off, 5 hits a day on the web site, 2 phone calls a day, word of mouth spreading faster than wild fire, stock images starting to sell. Meeting 2 new clients today, shooting a wedding this afternoon (first one in the rain), shooting a concert tonight.<br>

I am on track and loving it!</p>

<p>I went full circle. Photo hobby and teaching in public school, PT pro, left teaching FT pro about 10 years in business as an industrial photographer, return to teaching 1998, shut down all pro work about 1999, now some personal projects and hobby plus a few light assignments. I learned everything from scratch the hard way, no short cuts. I have worked with and for some incredible photogs who have shared their finest skills and taught me everything, to them I am forever thankful for this generous gift. As far as weddings go, I got into it by filling in for some local studio emergencies either overbooked, illness or other mishaps. They would send an assistant to pose and manage everything and all I would do was work the camera, lights and film. Eventually, I didn't want an assistant for various reasons and just worked alone. Although I ended up shooting a vast amount of weddings, that really wasn't my main thing. I was still doing demanding work for various petro chemical clients and heavy industry, annual reports, racing engines, musician albums and portfolios on and on. Eventually I was shooting bridal gown catologues, bridal fashion shows, layouts for wedding facilities for bridal mags, teaching classes, was in a video for WPI, custom black and white printing for other photogs and classes, newspaper editorial work and sports, legal environmental documenting for soon to be superfund sites (whew), political adds and on and on. Basically, I just had enough, I was running insane and getting exhausted, my nice hobby had turned into a monster. 1998 I went back to the classroom in public school. Now I'm just considering shooting a few weddings and other social events because of various personal situations I need to get some more cashflow going. I would say 7-8 years into it, I was on top of the world, then I started to just have enough. So when people say not to do it there are reasons for sure, but I would never discourage anyone from following a dream they had. I will also add that for about five years I was so turned off that I wouldn't even touch a camera. Only a few years ago I took my Hasselblads out and started shooting some black and white to see if I could enjoy it, then last year I bought some digital equipment, and now I feel very resolved about everything, but will only shoot smaller assignments to make some $$ no big weddings or anything, maybe help as a second shooter or just handle equipment and enjoy the day.</p>

<p>Started as a assistant to a Videographer, learned the tricks, learned to edit videos, ended up doing all the videos since the owner started doing photography because his associate left the studio. I have been doing it for 14 years, last five years took photography seriously and now I do both. I enjoy doing videos but I have a real passion for photography. <br>

I work in a studio, mainly I'm in charge of the videos but usually and frecuently, depending what is needed to be done to do a job, I also shoot, have done a lot of weddings (lost count) both video and photography (just purchase a Canon 7D and 10-22mm lens a week ago) and we are doing pretty good. From this experience I can tell you one thing for sure:</p>

<p>If you do not feel passion, joy, interest for people and being around them in those really special days, DON'T DO WEDDINGS, because is hard work!<br>

After you finish shooting, you have to go back home or studio and download all the pictures from the memory card (usually is around 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning), next day you have to look at your images and have the bad ones in the trash. Then you have to retouch some and make a slideshow, when your customer come back with the order or selection for the album then you have to retouch all photos and desing the album. We are talking of a lot of work hours! Again is not easy, but I LOVE IT.</p>

<p>After I finished Tech School ('92) I got a call from school and they said they had a job for me.. fixing some video equipment for a guy who did wedding videos... his dad did the photos, (so I took the job) one friday the old man says,(in a very thick Italian accent) hey you wanna make 50 bucks??, sure, you come tomorrow and carry my bags.... several weeks later I was co-shooting with his Bronica... same thing happened with the guys son and his video gear... "carry my bags" had turned into "shoot this wedding". Fast-forward 15 years, 2 studios and 600+ jobs later, I got tired of working for someone else. But in the last couple of years I've realized that there's an awful lot to be said for having someone else do the selling, having realized that I"m a terrible salesman...<br>

It's not enough to be great shooter, you must first close the sale.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hello Minnie ? ? ?<br>

What is DOP?<br>

***</p>

<p>Heather P,</p>

<p>If you have read this far and in response to you post <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VU6s">Share your story... How did your business take off?</a>, then I will add to my answer, that following up on things and completion, is also a good thing to do.</p>

<p>WW</p>