any info on APO Germinar 9/300

rodorod

<p>Hi, I just ran into an APO Germinar 9/300 copal 1 and I was really surprised to see such a small 300mm lens. As a matter of fact, there is not enough info around again...<br>

Anybody familiar with this lens, (image circle, quality, etc) Is this lens good for portrait? Or is it only a repro lens?<br>

Thenks in advance!<br>

rod</p>

<p>I believe the APO-Germinar is very similar to an APO-Ronar and APO-Artar, all dialyte types with four elements in for groups. Older ones are usually uncoated, newer ones single coated, which is ok because of the simple optical formula. The APO-Germinars are Repro lenses that are supposed to be very sharp and contrasty for general photography as well. I once had a 300mm APO-Ronar in Copal 1 and was very pleased with the lens. I only sold it because I found 300mm a bit long for my taste and on my 4x5 camera (bellows extension).<br>

Image circle is less than the 300mm Plasmats. The APO-Ronar covers 264mm, the Germinar should be similar. Ok on 5x7, excellent on 4x5, not enough on 8x10, except for closeups. However, the lens might illuminate 8x10 at infinity, with sharpness problems in the corners.</p>