B&H Negative D90 Buying Experience

robert_hooper1

<p>

I just had my first negative experience with B&H Photo in almost three decades, I ordered a Nikon D90 on-line and received an obviously previously opened and beat up box, the contents of which had been gone through and then thrown back together sloppily. Even the English manual looks as though it has been paged through.

B&H says the camera was sent out to someone, but intercepted before delivery to a fraudulent customer and that the condition of the box and contents is only due to an employee in "Returns" checking it out when it came back to B&H. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of the good service I've gotten all these years, but I have to say this seems more like the typical behavior of some of those other New York places. They ended up giving me $20 off my $33 shipping charge. Big deal.

Next time I order a big ticket item from B&H, I'll place the order over the phone and remind them of this experience.

</p>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If you've had one negative experience with B&H in almost three decades, it's unfair for you to say it's like<em> the typical behavior of</em> <em>some of those other New York places</em> , so as to tag them with that label. If you really they are similar, you should order from one of those places. One problem in nearly thirty years? A problem they took care of? You should thank them.</p>

<p>Hector,</p>

<p>They didn't take care of the problem, I just acquiesced. The reason I am so pissed is they could not have sold this particular camera on the showroom floor without discounting it and they know it. Someone in shipping saw a request for a D90 via second day air from Hawaii and correctly surmised the customer wanted the camera in a hurry and might just be desperate enough to accept the condition of the product even though the packaging looks like crap. "Bad form", as the British would say and I expect better from B&H.</p>

<p>I'm just in between chemotherapy cycles, so this weekend is an important window of opportunity for me. I don't have time to return this camera if I want to use a D90 this weekend. I've been looking forward to, and had this trip planned to Volcano Hawaii for months now. I want to use this new D90 on my trip.</p>

<p>Shun,</p>

<p>There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the camera as far as I can tell. I haven't checked to see how many actuations there might be if any.</p>

<p>Elliot,</p>

<p>B&H were willing to take return of the D90. They offered to ship it back to themselves via <strong>UPS</strong> <strong>Ground</strong> from <strong>Hawaii</strong> and when they finally received it weeks from now, exchange it for another Nikon D90. Not a viable option in my case. Under other circumstances, I would absolutely return it. However, I need it this weekend.</p>

<p>Well, I think someone from B&H read this string because I have just gotten an email from Simon R. at B&H Customer Service stating B&H is sorry about the way I feel and they will now allow me to return the D90 after using it during this weekend trip to the island of Hawaii. </p>

<p><strong>Thank you Simon R. at B&H Photo Customer service.</strong></p>

<p>I am glad B&H is once again coming through for Robert. Everybody can make some mistakes once in a while; it is how they correct those mistakes that really matters.</p>

<p>Having said that, if the camera is working perfectly fine, I wonder whether it is worthwhile to return it because the box was beaten up. Obviously I haven't seen the exact condition and it is entirely up to Robert to decide, but sometimes if you are too picky on every little thing, you are merely generating more unnecessary work for yourself (as well as for other people). I recall we have this member in this forum who has to return every body and every lens he buys once or twice before he accepts it. Again, I haven't seen the exactly condition and this is entirely up to Robert to decide anyway.</p>

<p>But let's set the priority right: for now I think Robert should focus on the up-coming trip, and hopefully he can share some images with us afterwards. Have fun.</p>

<p>While you're at the volcano, throw in a couple of pixel-peepers. "I tried forty D90s before I found one with bokeh." I don't think B&H has a restocking fee, so they are truly between a rock and a hard place with returned gear.</p>

<p>I have also heard from reliable sources about people who would send in a shill to a store with a scrupulous return policy. Shill would take the camera home, open the packing, then return the camera. Then shyster comes in and buys the camera as 'open box' for a discount.</p>

<p>B&H offers the most consistently best prices and selection. Many will agree with me. Their NYC store is a playground and goods fly out of there at an awesome pace if you stop to watch. But what is constantly surprising to me is the help. I visit there A LOT when driving or walking by. But not so much that anyone knows me. And every time I'm there, they are SO incredibly nice. You may wait a few minutes for a salesman to free up, but once it is your turn, they're yours. No rush, no pushing. I've watched them with people agonizing over which $20 item to buy and the salesmen gave those people the same attention and patience they did people buying a Nikon D700 outfit. They don't work on commission and seem perfectly happy to keep screwing on different lenses to the cameras you are trying and letting you play with them as long as you want to; they happiily call for stuff that isn't on the floor for you to look at if you ask; and they actually are incredibly knowledgeable about virtually everything there. <br>

Across NYC at every level of store--especially the higher end stores--I've noticed a marked decrease in customer service over the last 18 months. B&H is an exception to that. And the fact that someone at B&H contacted the OP to make him happier, and didn't advertise that on the thread, is classy. I'm impressed. And I'll continue to spend my money there (well, in a while because the last two weeks I kind of went crazy with stuff I told everyone I <em>needed </em> but let's be honest: it was really stuff I just <em>wanted)</em>. When a store messes up, plenty of people jump at the chance to bash the place. When a store does it right, people aren't as quick to post, so in fairness, I think B&H deserves to hear to positive feedback, too.</p>

<p>You know, I idea that BH reads these forums and acts on the info, and Henry even comments , makes me trust them a bit more. I have quicker shipping from them, vs Adorama, so I kinda' lean towards them anyway.</p>

<p>After spending a grand on a camera, I would want a factory sealed package as well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert<br>

I find B&H very customer oriented, they just did me a huge favor shipping a few items. Henry was instrumental in getting what I wanted done and it happened. If you want to return the camera, use it this weekend and return it for an unopened carton per their offer. Afterall, they want to make you happy and keep a great customer. Best of luck with your treatments.</p>

<p>The condition of the box and messy contents mostly bothered me because it made me wonder what the heck was going on. Why would it be that way? My first thought was, used equipment, not just mishandled repackaging. It's not like B&H to send out stuff like that. The camera seems to be working fine and if it continues to function that way, I'll have no problem keeping it.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the kind words. Much appreciated. I'll never give up.</p>

<p>It might have been a display camera too, but not touched or used in any way. The D90 I bought was on display but it was never touched or used at all except by the sales person. The boxes are stored somewhere else though. So they may have just found a box to ship it in after making sure all the accessories were all there. My camera works awesome.</p>

<p>If you read through these pages, you'll discover that lots of Nikonians (as well as fans of other brands) order gear and then decide to ship it back. Lenses in particular seem to collect a lot of "frequent flyer miles" as people evaluate multiple "samples." What is the dealer supposed to do? Refuse to accept returns? Or each the cost of each opened item?</p>

<p>If the item is damaged or not working, return it. If it has been handled gently but is working fine, then I don't see how that qualifies as a negative buying experience.</p>

<p>I see two problems here. One Robert spent a lot of money for NIB and did not quite receive that. The other problem is that Robert ordered the body right before a trip with no time allowed for any issues. I am guilty of that myself and try very hard to get a major item well before I need it. That plan does not always work but it is a goal of mine. Something that is mentioned here from time to time.<br>

Robert have a great trip. I hope ALL goes well.</p>

<p>Robert:<br>

B&H regrets this incident and your dissatisfaction.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's not like B&H to send out stuff like that. The camera seems to be working fine and if it continues to function that way, I'll have no problem keeping it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're right. It's not. Our offer to discount your s&h and to exchange the camera after your holiday (as long as the exposure counter shows 200 or fewer) is our way of demonstrating our commitment to your satisfaction.<br>

I will share this with our warehouse managers so they can do what is necessary to ensure we do not repeat an incident of this sort.<br>

I appreciate the understanding and support of everyone in thei thread. Thank you.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Interesting input, Henry. I will not be able to keep my actuations below 200, so I guess the last communication from Customer Relations Simon R. had some undisclosed strings attached:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Hello Bob Hooper, my name is Simon R: <br /><br />Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. <br /><br />I am sorry that you feel that way, and the way the box arrived , but we are glad that you accepted the offer, if you still feel uncomfortable with the camera after your shoot, you can still return it to us. <br />We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you <br /><br />Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. <br /><br />Thank you, we appreciate your business. <br /><br /><br />Simon R <br />B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio <br />The Professional's Source. <br />E-Mail Customer Service Department "</p>

</blockquote>

<p>After almost 30 years of being a customer, I will not be doing any further business with B&H Photo.</p>

<p>Robert Hooper</p>

<p>Robert,<br /> Make sure you don't take over 200 pictures if you decide to return your camera to BH; otherwise, I believe they will refuse your return.<br /> I read a thread on another forum that the poster was seriously refused to return his camera to BH because his/her camera had more than 200 shutter releases (about 270 as I recall). I didn't know this strict limitation until I read that post. (BH states clearly in their policy so I were too crazy !). Henry also confirmed in above post.<br /> After knowing this limitation policy, I ordered my new camera from Amazon, with 30 days /no shutter count limited. I wanted to be safe with expensive order because who knows if cameras have problems after 200 shots during first 14 days? while sending to Nikon service is hurt.<br /> Other than this limit , BH is good.</p>