cheaper in Germany?

Hello all,

I am traveling to Germany next month and would like to buy the new

Leica digicam for this trip. It occurred to me perhaps I would get

it cheaper there? I can walk into a store and get it for 1100 bucks

here, have not checked out the web yet. Would anyone know if there

are significant discounts on Leicas in Germany?

thanks...

Beth

Beth, you can save some money if you find a dealer who will sell for less than the list price. You can also have the tax refunded to you at the airport with the "Tax free for tourists" form that some dealers will provide. Here's an example (all prices in Euros):

Noctilux 50/1 Leica list: 2635.00 -- with 10% off: 2371.50 -- with 16% tax back: 2044.00

With the exchange rate of dollars to Euro, it is not as good as a year ago. I bought the same item last year and paid ~$1700 instead of the ~$2040 it is now.

Email me off list with your itinerary, I might know some dealers where you are.

Elisabeth, price is not the only consideration, and you will have the hassle of tax free, brining your unused product to the German customs staff, then get a refund in cash (in which case the Tax Free company keeps some of your money)

I haven't used the new Leica digilux, but from the feedback on this forum I wouldn't buy one. I strongly suggest that you evaluate Canon G2 or a high end Nikon digital camera.

Best of luck,

Beth---STOP. You want to buy it here and test it here and make sure it works

before your trip. A lens you might buy on a trip and be okay, but a digital

camera? Buy here. Also you may have fewer warranty hassles with the

camera bought here. Plus if you buy locally your local retailer will benefit. With

taxes, refunds, then USA customs you might save a hundred bucks? Maybe?

Not worth it.

German law permits something called <i>Preisbindung</i>, i.e. a company is allowed to dictate minimum prices for which retailers are allowed to sell the company's products. In other words, if a German photo store sells the Digilux 1 for less than � 1200 (that's its 'suggested retail price'), Leica can, and will, not sell to the retailer any more. Guess what German stores do--you can't drop the prestigious brand for your own sake.

If you really want a Digilux 1, you can get it from B&H (according to their catalog) for $899.00. This is presumably with full Leica USA warranty. You won't do better in Germany. But check the comments on the Digilux and make sure that is the one you want!

PS: Gray market dealers may have it even cheaper, but without Leica USA warranty. But by all means get the camera you are going to use before your trip in order to try it out and be familiar with it.

Beth: I HIGHLY recommend B&H or Rich Avila, Villiage Camera --- Both in NYC. Buying in Germany is something of a problem and the dealers seem not to care very much if you do not buy! I located a new Leica M-6 Titanium with 35mm-f.1.4 Summilux-M ASPH lens for equivalent of US$3,750.00 in Hamburg a month ago. It should have been elligible for about a $600.00 refund of their VAT but the Dealer [Wiesenhavern Video-TV]could not be bothered to assist in obtaining a refund and they WOULD NOT mail to the US. So, that was that! If you want Rich Avila's address contact him at

photovilla@aol.com. Good Luck, Bill

to Oliver Schrinner:

You wrote: "German law permits something called Preisbindung, i.e. a company is allowed to dictate minimum prices". Though I haven't been in Germany for the last 10 years, but I thought that all these fixed prices are now officially forbidden by law? I do realize that based on the long history, germans are not used to hackle, but it is allowed, I think, and every dealer can sell at whatever price he agrees on except for dumping prices = bellow his buying price. I thought that the only remaining area are book prices which are fixed (but the EU wants to attack this to)? Its time that Aldi, Tchibo, Eduscho and/or Edeka should start a Leica sale.... (sorry if the non-germans don't understand this).