XTOL

howard b. schwartz

Howard the "Film Developing Cookbook" has any time you could need. I use XTOL 1:2 or 1:3 depending on which film. Since XTOL is a solvent developer, for acutance (sharp edges) you will want to dilute. For fine grain use at 1:1 or straight and adjust exposure. XTOL is a speed increasing developer and you may find that you can increase your E.I. a 1/2 stop or more. I use HP5+ @1:2 and FP4+ @ 1:3 for sheet film. I think that it's better to use the developer at a higher temp and usually develop @ 72 deg diluted. I have read that some develop @ 75 with no problems.

According to the FDCookbook Tmax 1:1 at 400, 68 deg winds up at 8.75 minutes at an EI of 400. Straight is 6.5 minutes at 68deg. Go from there or someone may have some practical numbers. I think you'll have to test regardless, and at least the above figures will get you started. For 72deg try 7'10" for 1:1 and 5'25" straight. There is a practical difference in developing small format film. I find that at 1:1 the contrast goes up with 35mm film, and you have to watch your agitation. Hope this helps.

Just for your information there is a new XTOL clone sold by Paterson called FX-50. It comes in two parts A & B (like XTOL) except that the two parts come in liquid concentrate form (instead of powder) and can be mixed right before use. Paterson claims that FX-50 has a very long shelf life in concentrate form (each part stored separately).

www.patersonphotographic.com/chemistry/developers.html#two