M8.2 questions

sfbk

<p>Greetings to all. I have been a Leica M film shooter for many years and very recently bought a used M8.2, I have a couple of questions to people more experienced in its use.<br>

1. I am using an older uncoded 35/1.4 lens primarily. Is it best to leave the lens selection menu off?<br>

2. in the color management menu, which one among the 3 is most appropriate?<br>

I thank you ahead of time for your help.</p>

<p>Hi Abid,</p>

<p>My experience is based on the M8.</p>

<p>1. Wide angle lenses work better with coding. Some people say the 35mm does not need coding, others say it does. For lenses longer than 35mm you don't need the coding. That said, it is not expensive to code lens yourself. I bought a coding template from this website and I cannot say enough good things about it.:</p>

<p>http://bophoto.typepad.com/bophoto/2009/01/m8-coder-simple-manual-handcoding-of-m-lenses.html</p>

<p>If you shoot black and white, you don't need the coding.</p>

<p>2. I haven't changed the setting away from sRGB and I haven't had any problems.</p>

<p>You will probably get different answers from other users.</p>

<p>Best of luck with your new combination!</p>

<p>For shooting color I strongly recomend the use of a UV/IR filter. Without coding, all lenses from 35 down a slight blue cast will be visible in the corners of the frame (with the 35 it will go unnoticed most of the time), so the extra expense (around 100 euros) is worthwhile. It will also fix the vignetting. BTW, B+W filters are great and cheaper than the Leica ones.</p>