Hasselblad 500 C/M Lens Filters and Caps for Zeiss Planar 80mm

leigh_ryan

<p>With all of my cameras I usually install a UV filter and a good lens cap, if for nothing else than the replaceable less expensive filter gets scratched and not the expensive lens. I purchased a used Hassy 500 c/m with a standard 80mm zeiis planar lens. I took a trip to the camera store to get a lens cap and uv filter but was informed that Hasselblad had a sort of bayonet system instead of the standard threads. I was sold a shotty lens cap that frequently pops off on it's own will. Where and how can I get a reasonably priced UV filter for this lens and a good fitting lens cap. How do I know what is the correct size. Thank you for your help<br>

Very Best,<br /> Lee</p>

<p>I got a B50 to 52mm adapter on Ebay for a few bucks that bayonets on the front of my 80mm "C" lens; it also works with my 150mm "C" lens. I am sure they come in all standard sizes. Now I can use my 35mm filters on it, which comes in handy, especially with the polarizer, not to mention 52mm lens caps are in no short supply and cheap. I have no vignetting issues whatsoever with either lens and I can still use the bayonet lens shades without any problem.</p>

<p>Here is what I am talking about. Just remove the three x's in front of the ebay, since this forum won't let you post an ebay link. I am working the system a bit I admit, but I am not selling anything, just routing you to a link where you can buy an accessory, so I figure it's ok:</p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.xxxebay.com/Bayonet-50-to-52mm-B50-52mm-B50-52-Step-Up-Ring-Adapter_W0QQitemZ250417908321QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4e120a61">http://cgi.xxxebay.com/Bayonet-50-to-52mm-B50-52mm-B50-52-Step-Up-Ring-Adapter_W0QQitemZ250417908321QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4e120a61</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Lee,<br>

When I started using my Blad with the planar 80 (first 80C the repalced by CF nad then again CFi when I bought the 203FE body) I, like you, placed an UV fileter in front of it. It was the original Hasselblad filter, so goog quality I presume. I noticed it was quite prone to flare an testing with and without I convinced myself that, in difficult light situation, an UV filter degrade the image in a visible way (take in account that the 80 is quite prone to flare compared to other Hasselbad lenses). To meke the story short my recommendation is not to permanentrly attach an UV filter to your lens, over all if it is not an excellent filter! Why have a good lens and degrade the image with a piece of glass in front of it? Other than when you are in a difficult environment (on the shorefront with salt watere spreading in the air, orther is a real possibility to scratch the front element of the lens) I would avoid to use an UV filter. The lens shade is a better protection and over hall help a lot in preveneting flare. If you want to follow the "filter always attached" route, a lens shade i strictly necessary. What I said derived from my personal experience, I recommend to try for yourself and see.</p>

<p>Reasonably priced? A good Bay 60 filter or Hasselblad cap cost always more than the threaded variety. Hoya and B+W make high quality UV filters for Hasselblad Bay 60. Hasselblad caps are pricey new and reasonable 2nd hand. Get these from any good professional photography store, KEH, or eBay.</p>

<p>Leigh, there are many lens shades / hoods to be found on eBay. If you wish to keep a filter on the lens all the time, you can use the lens cap with the internal bayonet. These are my favourite because they can put on & removed even while a lens hood is in place.<br /> The 80mm C lens has a Ø50 mm bayonet, and the CF lens has Ø60. Shown here is a good deal: $10.50 with free shipping from Hong Kong.<br /> I have recently purchased a Chinese-made Ø50 lens hood for my 150mm Sonnar C. Perfect fit! And I'm going back for more.<br>

For filters, I have a few cheap and scratched ones for general protection, but for demanding work I use the best I can afford. B+W, Hasselblad and <a href="http://macodirect.de/analog-auxiliary-infrared-filters-c-567_255.html"><strong>Heliopan.</strong> </a> ... and sometimes Cokin, because I don't have a Lee system.</p><div>00V2n2-192169584.jpg.25c1b96dcf3f68eb01a662aaa4cdba47.jpg</div>

<p>Leigh - I certainly wont argue the merits of a UV filter, but the 80mm is one lens I don't bother using one. The glass is well recessed and with a hood I feel really 'safe'. Just a thought. The lens cap is a must of course, and (unlike the hoods) cheap copies seems OK if you can't find an original. But as has been advised to me, original is always better!</p>