Broken AF-S DX 18-55mm LENS

dixie_huffman

<p>I was so proud of finally owning a Nikon camera! While at my daughter's for Thanksgiving, I picked up my D-40 with the AF-S lens attached, and it dropped about 12 inches to the carpeted floor. When I tried to zoom, it wouldn't budge. Took pictures ok at 55 mm. but would not zoom. When I took the lens off, there is a piece of circular plastic loose inside, and the aperture leaves look nicely jumbled. Less than 6 months old. HELP!!!</p>

<p>Did that circular plastic looks like one of the three bayonet from the plastic mount? If yes, you can call Nikon parts department and get a new one. Shouldn't be that expensive. Providing of-course you can un-tangle the aperture level and free the zoom. BTW: This may be a good excuse to look for a used Nikkor 18-70 bargain lens gem. It will be an easier fix and a up-grade. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>Less than 6 months old. HELP!!!"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the only "help" that is going to make economic sense is to buy a replacement. The lens has serious internal damage (broken zoom mechanism, damaged aperture assembly) and it is going to almost certainly cost more to repair than to replace. These inexpensive mostly plastic 18~55mm kit zooms simply are not made to take any abuse. Even a short fall to a carpeted floor can cause serious damage if it happens to strike that floor just right (or wrong, depending on your perspective). With the exception of replacing the rear mount, they are not really economically viable to repair. :(</p>

<p>Hope your D40 is okay.</p>

<p>Tough luck Dixie. I dropped my 18-55 changing lenses while on a tripod and it dropped about 5 feet onto a rocky river bank. It landed on its side and has a little ding in the housing but it still works fine. Just lucky I guess.</p>