About the Hassy ELM Double Grip?

trex1

<p>Darius,</p>

<p>The ELM is already a very heavy hand held camera. While I've never owned one of the double grips, I have owned the pistol grip which keeps the weight centered and controllable with one hand free for focusing and exposure adjustments. With the double grip, you have to release one hand for those adjustments and that makes the hand on the grip subject to major sideways torque.</p>

<p>I never could figure out how that was helpful since you are bound to get thrown out of the composition you want to work with. I'd opt for a sturdy tripod or the Hasse pistol grip that was made for these.</p>

<p>Designed for aerial photography. It is otherwise "unwieldy", as you say.<br /> I find that as a carry-around grip, the pistol grip helps, if one really must use an EL/M for hand-held shooting. Note that there are two different p-grips, one each for the EL and the non-motorised Hasselblads. They are not cross- compatible.<br /> With the double grip, you need to let go one of the handles to make changes to the camera settings and adjust focus. As Tim points out, this is really quite awkward and a strain on the wrist of the hand trying to hold the thing up. Whereas with the pistol-grip, the left hand remains under the center of gravity to support the weight, whilst the right hand is constantly available and stabilising whilst making the adjustments.<br /> Air to ground photography especially, does not require focus adjustments, because the lens is set on infinity and one has usually prepared for optimum exposures with filters in place etc. Air-to-air may require adjustments if the aircraft are flying in and out of shade under clouds, but otherwise planned exposure settings remain constant. Thus both hands keep a firm grip. Only if using a long lens fully open, and flying very close to the target aircaft will the focus need fine tuning.<br /> Spend your money on film. The industry needs it.</p>