Chipped Zeiss lenses finally for Nikons

t._zenjitsuman

<p>What is wrong with talking about Zeiss lenses for Nikon? I've read tons of threads with people asking about them. I love Zeiss lenses, the thing is I can't afford them! Glad to hear they are making chipped lenses. I guess that makes it show up in EXIF info better. </p>

<p>Arthur, read Shun's reasoning. The differing lengths of the lenses make a direct comparison of the two kind of hard.</p>

<p>As for the chipped lenses, all I can say is WOOHOO! I can't wait. I actuually was on B&H earlier to see if I could pre-order one. They weren't on there yet :-( I love manual focus and hope to get a couple of those Zeiss lenses for portrait and artistic photography.</p>

<p>Arthur, as Zach pointed out, I clearly explained why the other thread was closed: since it was a meaningless comparison between a 25mm lens and a 35mm lens without any context.<br>

If the question were: "I want to shoot landscape with a D700; should I get a 24mm lens or 35mm lens," there would have been context and therefore a meaningful discussion.<br>

One way or another, that thread getting closed has nothing to do with one lens in discussion being Zeiss.</p>

<p>Now back to the topic in this thread: I am glad Zeiss finally makes their ZF lenses the equivalent of P lenses with CPU. I never understood why they didn't do so from day 1 (when they introduced ZF lenses back in 2006). Nikon introduced P lenses around 1990 so that the concept had been around for well over a decade prior.</p>

<p>The annoying part is that those who bought ZF lenses in the last 3+ years now have old models; that was just totally unnecessary. So when will Zeiss add AF?</p>

<p>Why do people want all things to be the same? I have no problem with Zeiss lens being manual, un-chipped lenses. I think that's part of their charm, along with their great optics of course and their build quality. Yes, I can be quite old-fashioned.</p>

<p>I know they're here to do business but do they really want to become yet another Sigma or Tamron?</p>

<p>Then again maybe it's all because of Sony.</p>

<p>Uzay, Chipped means the lenses communicate with the body the same way an AIS manual lens does. These Zeiss lenses are still manual.</p>

<p>We also need to remember that a lot of video guys buy these zf lenses, and a large portion of those guys prefer the manual focus. Besides, manual focus primes is a segment that all other lens manufacturers have pretty much stopped working on. Giving Zeiss a real niche in the market.</p>

<p>By far the majority of AI-S lenses have no built-in CPU. AI-S merely means the aperture diaphragm closes down in a linear fashion, which was important for the Program mode and Shutter Priority in the 1980's when the body controls the aperture closing. (And when you use the sub-command dial to control the aperture, in these days the body controls the aperture closing in all modes now.)</p>

<p>AI-S lenses with a built-in CPU are called P lenses, and there are only like half a dozen different models. Around 1990 Nikon introduced the 500mm/f4 P lens that is still manual focus but can communicate with the electronic AF bodies. I had one from 1992 to 1998 when I upgraded to the AF-S version. Another fairly common P lens is the 45mm/f2.8 P that was in production for a few years earlier this decade.</p>

<p>The previous Zeiss ZF lenses were the equivalent of AI-S without CPU. The new version is the equivalent of P lenses.</p>

<p>I own three of the Zeiss lenses for my D700. Sometimes when I change lenses, I forget to set the camera to the non-cpu lens (non-chipped). And I am super bummed that mine don't have the chip now that I hear the new ones will. I hope they will have an upgrade program whereas I can send my lenses to be converted. I wrote an note to the Product Manager over at Zeiss to ask him to develop such a program.</p>

<p>I got it now, sorry for the confusion, chipped is used in terms of CPU i guess, which gives too much information about the lens to the camera and gives possibility to shoot shutter priority and programmed auto, am i right now?</p>

<p>BTW, i envy for 2 Zeiss lenses 100 macro and planar 85 1.4, yummy!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wished they would add AF, too, but that will probably not come true unless Zeiss is able to conjure up some magic in their relationship with Nikon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is no "relationship with Nikon", nor does there need to be. The patents on the Nikon AF system expired years ago. Zeiss has their ZF, ZS, and ZK lenses manufacturered by Cosina. Cosina launched a series of chipped Nikon mount manual focus lenses, called "SL-II", before they launched the unchipped Nikon lenses. Cosina also builds Nikon and Canon mount AF lenses sold under several labels, including Kodak.</p>

<p>The <strong>only</strong> reason that Zeiss didn't launch their lenses as chipped MF right from the start is that that is the way that Zeiss wanted it. It didn't work out (like you had to be a genius to see that coming) so Zeiss launched the AF lenses they should have done from the beginning.</p>

<p>AF lenses are another story. The big problem with AF lenses is that they often require substantial optical design. Look at the lenses Zeiss chose to launch first, the 50mm f1.4, 60mm f1.4, and 100mm macro. Two of those three would have needed an optical redesign to be launched as AF. Nikon's own manual focus 85mm f1.4 was a simple unit focusing lens, but Nikon redesigned it as an internal focusing lens to reduce the moving mass and make AF acceptably fast. The 55mm f2.8 became a front focusing 60mm f2.8. Because the rear elements fon't move, the effective focal length drops from 60mm to 50mm as it focuses from infinity to 1:1, so instead of needing a helicoid that extends 60mm, it only needs to extend 40mm. Same with teh 105mm micro-Nikkor, it shifts focal length dramatically as it focuses to 1:1.</p>

<p>The really big shame is that some really splendid AF "Zeiss" lenses exist, but Zeiss doesn't actually have access to them. The Zeiss branded AF lenses on the Contax N system were brilliant, well engineered, with less wobble and positional decentering than the Nikon and Canon AF lenses I've worked with. But the patents are held by Kyocera, not Zeiss, and they apparently went into the cryogenic vault with the rest of the Contax IP when Kyocera mothballed Contax.</p>

<p>"Does this mean I can now get some of the non-chipped ZF lenses for half price? Three-quarter price?"</p>

<p>John you are too optimistic :-)</p>

<p>But just in case you find a source for Zeiss ZF lenses for 1/2 price - my preference would be in US$ since the lenses are cheaper in the US than in Germany ^^ - please drop me a line. You get a German beer in return :-P</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Very good news, shame if there is no upgrade program for non chipped lenses. An easily missed sentence also indicated that the 25/2.8 is being redesigned, which is very interesting in itself.<br>

I'm not too keen on AF, at least Nikon's screwdriver AF lenses don't exactly shine with their robust mechanics or accuracy.</p>

<p>BTW: I asked Zeiss and they responded that there is no change in the optics. I will have the 100mm F2.0 soon. I considered waiting for the new version but I will use the lens on a D700 or D3 and see no reason to wait since I need the lens now.</p>

<p>If one is uncertain if the lens might be sold at a later time the newer version of the ZF lenses might be a better deal to get because some people will try to lower the price of a used "old" version :-P</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"The <strong>only</strong> reason that Zeiss didn't launch their lenses as chipped MF right from the start is that that is the way that Zeiss wanted it. It didn't work out (like you had to be a genius to see that coming)..."</p>

<p>Joseph it seems to be a never ending story with Zeiss (similar story with Leica) that they combine the best possible quality with the worst possible marketing and business in general.</p>

<p>I really admire many of their optical and electron optical products that I use. But I must say that I always find a few aspects hard to understand^^. Especially to electronics and/or software Zeiss seems to have a special relationship :-)</p>