Removing handle from Sunpak 544

obi-wan-yj

<p>I have the opportunity to buy a Sunpak 544 locally. I've been looking for a second flash ever since I got a set of two light stands/umbrellas and a pair of radio trigger receivers. The 544 sounds like a great flash, except for that handle. While it would be possible to mount the end of the handle to my light stands, the flash head would be so high up that I couldn't really use it with the umbrella attached hear the base of the handle. I also anticipate setting the flash down or on a make-shift foot in order to handle other off-camera lighting needs. I don't ever expect to use it on the camera bracket.</p>

<p>Consequently, I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the flash head from the handle with anything less than a hack saw. Since the batteries and sync cords all connect to the head itself, the handle appears to be nothing more than that. Does it screw into the head, by chance? If I were to cut it off, does anybody know what I'd find inside? I'd just need some way to attach either a cold shoe or a 1/4-20 nut to the bottom of the head in order to use it on my light stand.</p>

<p>Any ideas?</p>

<p>Not sure that is a good idea there are probably some electronics in there. If the part that comes off the bottom for the camera bracket is like my 511 you can loosen the clamps and slide it up closer to the head. Larson used to make brackets the would hold the light and an umbrella I have one around somewhere and will check and see if I can find it and shoot a photo of it. John</p>

<p>DO NOT CUT THE HANDLE OFF!!!</p>

<p>The capacitors are in there! Might be a shocking experience!</p>

<p>The 511 bracket is identical to the 544 bracket. The previous poster is giving good advice. A good fix would be to move the bracket on the handle of the flash to the top of the handle and mount the bracket to the stand. Then the head can be set in the full up position and turn the unit so the flash head points into the umbrella. If you have spare brackets, you can cut the majority of the camera mount portion off to save space. There is a 1/4 20 socket on the bracket to use instead of the socket on the bottom of the flash's handle. <br>

This would be your best solution short of buying some actual studio lighting.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>What I did was use a brackett from an old Smith Victor light, attached to the handle of my 544, put it on a light stand with an adjustable brackett and shoot through a 3o inch umbrella.. Works great.. Subject at about 36" from the umprella, flash at 1/64th power and camera set at ISO 200 @F8..</p>