SMC Pentax 67 300/f4 lens

tom_harvey1

Tom:

If you have the option, go with the 300/4 EDIF version. Having owned both versions, the latest has sharper optics, rotating tripod mount, closer min.focusing distance. Use a sturdy tripod, MLU and you'll love the results, even w/closeups and a 1.4 rear converter. Have some slides on the light table right now of marine scenes I did on the West Coast this summer: blistering sharpness, contrast, and saturation. good luck! mark smith

• 3 months later...
Well, I took the plunge and acquired a 300mm ED(IF) lens for my 67II from KEH. So far I've shot a roll of Tri-X pushed to 800 of some distant mothballed ships at Benicia, CA. These exposures are extremely sharp, and were shot at about 1/800 second at varying apertures from 5.6 to f/16, allowing the AE prism to do the metering. I'm quite surprised at the sharpness, considering they were shot hand-held from a moving boat, using only the back of the padded driver's seat as a support. The prospective user should note that this combination of body and lens is not for the faint of heart due to its weight. However, I've seen no indication of unsharpness as long as the lens is tripod-mounted (Bogen 3046/3047 head) to the rotating collar.....whoever did the design work on the new 300 EDIF was thinking ahead of the "sweet spot" or balance point. I'm impressed.