opportunity to pick up a slightly-used PB-E2 for approximately

US$300.00.

Have any of you lugged around the PB-E2 to do landscape work? Did you

find it advantageous or just a waste of time and effort? What

advantages did it provide?

Perhaps I should pick it up on the off chance I want to do sports in

furture?

Thanks for any advice.

I currently shoot an EOS 3 w/PB-E2. I do all kinds of shooting and just love the PB-E2. However, I can�t think of any advantages of having the PB-E2 for specific use in landscape photography.

One of the big advantages for me is the ability to use Lithium AA cells and having a spare battery magazine loaded with cells that can be popped-in in less than a minute. But this is no real advantage for landscape work.

I also like having the vertical controls for handholding. I would assume that most all your landscape work will be done on a tripod, thus the vertical controls is no big help either.

There is one strange disadvantage. If you use Arca-style QR plates, then no one makes a decent L-bracket for the EOS 3 with PB-E2. Kirk just started manufacturing 'L' plates for the EOS 3 alone, but none for the booster. I really want an L-bracket that can be used while handholding, but I don�t want to give up the booster. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting and hoping.

I use the 1V with the PB-E2 on most of the time. The big advantages are the vertical shooting and the fact that 1 fully charged battery lasts forever.

Weight is an obvious disadvantage. Size is also annoying in that the camera will not fit in most flash brackets with the PB-E2 on and may not fit well into a Pelican case. Furthermore, you may wish to check on the fps advantage you get by adding the PB-E2 to your EOS3. On my camera, using the lithium battery I get 3.5fps, using the PBE2 with AA's I get 6 fps and using it with the PBE2 and the NPE2 battery I get 10fps. I don't know if I could justify the PB-E2 with just the AA's.

If you are planning on using the PB-E2 with wildlife you will also want to buy another mounting plate. I like Really Right Stuff (www.reallyrightstuff.com) and their new management is a more customer friendly. I hear Kirk is good as well.

The total long term cost of your PB-E2 purchase is likely to be something like the following (www.bhphoto.com prices except for PB-E2):

PB-E2 $300.00

NP-E2 $124.95 (battery)

NC-E2 $299.95 (charger, does 2 batteries)

RRS B-52 $55.00 (plate)

Tough call, PBE2 or second camera body.

If you get the PB, I suggest you consider getting the NiMH battery and charger. On trips, I often tend to mix my shooting between wildlife and landscape.

I think using the NiMH battery pack with the booster is a big advantage in cold weather. If you do not get the NiMH, you can still get the batteries in and out of the PB pretty quickly to warm them.

Also since you mentioned sports photography, you can get higher frames per second with the NiMH.

Bill

I shoot a pair of EOS 3's one with PB-E1. I use the big one for long lenses or if I need the FPS, and shoot static subjects with the body with no booster.

Except for the previously mentioned battery advantage in cold weather, I would avoid the PB for most landscape situations.

The PB-EB2 is a great addition although it won't help all that much for landscape work. That does not mean that it won't be useful, though. I've nailed some macro shots that might not have been possible without it because of the increased power and speed. Also, the ability to use common AA batteries is a great feature (screw the NIMH charger stuff).

For wildlife shooting, the power booster really shines.

Phil, if you have a use for it, go for it. Personally, I like smaller, lighter cameras and don't see the need in more than 3 or 4 fps in a motor. I shoot a lot of nature scenes and I never shoot sports or any other activity that could benefit from a motor booster. But these boosters do come off. You can always remove it when you don't need it.

I use an EOS 3, without a power booster, mostly for wildlife and some landscapes. I use it a lot with IS lenses, and large telephotos, and have used it in cold weather. I've never seen a real need for a power booster. Even using the IS a lot, I get at least 10 rolls of film or more before needing to replace the battery. Would I like to have a PB-E2? Yes. Are there a lot of lenses on the wish list ahead of a PB-E2? Most definitely.

I would recommend against the NiMh pack unless you really think you need 7fps. The NiMh battery is heavy and quite expensive with the Canon charger.

You will find the PB-E2 works best with Lithium AAs. These batteries pack a lot of power, are extremely good in cold weather, and are very light in weight. And 6fps is plenty quick enough for even the fastest moving landscape!

Quite honestly, many photographers never take the boosters off their EOS-1s and 3s. The cameras feel much more responsive, and you don't have to worry so much about spare batteries. However, one advantage of this kit over some other top-end cameras is that you can always take the booster off when desired to pack smaller or lighter.

The one downside bulk--Canon's top film cameras with boosters are just plain big. But you presumably already know that.

I agree 100% with Gary. Lithium AA's are the way to go. I can get a set of 8 for a max of $20. Sometimes cheaper when K-mart or Wal-mart has a sale. My best guess is that I can get about 75 or so, 24 exposure rolls on a set. I currently don�t own any IS lenses so your mileage may vary.

<I>Even using the IS a lot, I get at least 10 rolls of film or more before needing to replace the battery.</I>

<P>

FWIW, with the PB-E2 and lithium AAs, I generally get 50-70 rolls (36 exp.). That's with a variety of lenses, including IS lenses.

<P>

However, I don't think a power booster would be any particular advantage for landscape photography.