20d vs. 5dM2 how much of a difference?

nick_vayonis

<p>I have casually been into photography for the last twenty years. Friends who have seen my photos began asking me to take their family portraits, head shots etc. I bought a 20d about 5 years ago. I use a 24-70 2.8 and an older 80-200 2.8. I am thinking of upgrading bodies to the 5d Mark II, but it is expensive. Are the differences between the two extremely noticeable? I would like to grow my photography business. I do like the 1:1 ratio. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Nick</p>

<p>Chalk and cheese really. The 5D Mk11 really is a pretty big upgrade from the 20D, especially since there was the 30D, 40D and 50D since then. If cost is too much of an issue maybe look for a good used 5D mk1. You will love the viewfinder, low noise and image quality of either of the 5D's. Having said that I would be tempted to keep the 20D as a back up, or for use for sports if you do that, still a good camera today.</p>

<p>Nick, my personal, unscientific opinion is that the 5D Mk II is significantly better than the 20d. (This has nothing to do with the 5DII's video feature, which I don't use.) The 20D is still a good camera, and it's now my backup. But it has limitations, in much the same way that 35mm film has limitations compared to medium format. Within those limits, say when shooting closeups, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference between well-exposed 20D and 5DII images. But with other subjects, like landscapes, there's a very obvious improvement with the 5DII. One very important improvement is in the area of noise when shooting at ISO 800 and higher. I have shots taken as high as ISO 1600 that are virtually noise free, even in shadow areas. You can't get that with the 20D.</p>

<p>I'd say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.</p>

<p>Nick,</p>

<p>How big do you print? If you think of 12″ × 18″ as “big,” and

rarely if never print bigger than that, then you’re not likely to notice differences in prints.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if 12″ × 18″ is “small” to you, or if you

crop aggressively, then the difference is huge. If you shoot in the dark, the difference is again huge;

the 5DII is the reigning low light / high ISO champion.</p>

<p>There’s also the matter of handling. The 5DII is really a pro camera. It’s fast with

a big, bright viewfinder. It’s a pleasure to shoot with.</p>

<p>You might also consider the 50D or the 7D. They have the same format as the 20D, so your

lenses will function much the same as they do today. Both have all the rest of the modern improvements that the 5DII has.</p>

<p>Except to have as a backup, I can’t think of any reason to hold on to the 20D if you

upgrade. You can crop a 5DII to the exact same image as the 20D, except the 5DII will have

<em>much</em> less noise, so there’s no crop factor telephoto advantage. The 50D and

7D are both like the 20D on steroids; there isn’t anything the 20D does better than

either.</p>

<p>But, when it comes right down to it…the 20D is still a fine camera, and every bit the equal

of the newer cameras at the sizes most people print at.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>The 20D is a fine camera and will continue to take pictures that are printable, with care, to 13x19" until the shutter gives out. I still shoot with mine and like it very much. However, the 5Dmkii is a whole new world both in terms of being a 35mm-sensor size camera, and in terms of a number of significant upgrades in sensors and the like. If you're happy with the 20D, stick with it. If you do want the newer bells and whistles, the later xxD cameras like the 40D (now discontinued) and the 50D or even the 7D (an APS-C camera despite its one-number designation) represent significant, if evolutionary, improvements.<br>

Going to "full frame" would make your lenses effectively wider, of course. On your APS-C 20D, your 28mm focal length is "normal". On a 5D, it would be a decent wide angle.</p>

<p>The 5D is an incredible upgrade from the 20D, although the 20D is a very capable camera. I would keep the 20D as a 2nd body because if you give it up completely, your 200mm lens won't be very long on the 5D. The 1.6x crop factor of the 20D helps extend focal length for telephoto shots. If you want a long telephoto for the 5D it will cost you.</p>

<p>Nathan,</p>

<p>The 5DII has the same resolution sensor as the 20D, so there simply isn’t any telephoto

advantage to the 20D. Quite the contrary, in fact, since the 5DII’s pixels are much better than

the 20D’s even if they’re the same size.</p>

<p>In other words, if you were to crop away all but the central APS-C-sized area of a 5DII image,

you’d have the exact same number of pixels left as in the full image from the 20D, but with less

noise.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>A suggestion. Before shelling out thousands on a new body, figure out a way to try one out side by side with your 20D for <strong>the kind of photography you do.</strong> Then make same-sized prints of several images, at the size you ordinarily print.<br>

Unless you are printing quite large, or routinely shooting very high ISO, you are unlikely to notice much (or any!) difference.<br>

If you find a significant difference and like it, buy the body. Otherwise save your money.<br>

You will probably be surprised at how good that 20D is. You already have good lenses. That's the key.<br>

You can grow your photography much more in ways that cost less money than the latest body.</p>

<p>5D2 has evolved much over the 20D. 20D has no spot meter - 5D2 does. 20D has 12 bit processing and Digic 2 processor - 5D2 has 14 bit processing and Digic 4 processor for greater detail. 20D has 1.8 inch screen while 5D2 has 3 inch screen for much easier reviewing. 8mp vs 21mp sensors. 5D2 has much better high ISO performance. 5D2 gives better wide angle views for same lenses, where the theoretical telephoto advantage of the 20D is lost via ability of the 5D2 to "crop up" to telephoto to match 20D. The 20d is still a decent camera that within limits gives geat output. I still have an older Canon G6 p&s 7mp camera that works fine and makes great prints up to 11x14. <strong>Older doesn't mean obsolete</strong> - just not comparable performance to the best available today.</p>