Need Help on Buying Lenses for Wedding

fernand_garcia

<p>hi everybody!!<br />im new photographer and i going to start shooting weddings,so far i got my fujifilm s3 & s5 cameras and 2 sb-600 but im not really sure what kind of lenses i need to get,i know the best lenses are very expensive,and my budget is kind of low, can anybody tell me a decent BRAND lensES on a good low price for weddings ....<br />ANY OPINION WILL HELP THANK YOU SO MUCH....</p>

<p>I would add that the Tamron is a great all around lens. I am just in the process of testing the new VC version, but it adds a little cost.</p>

<p>As a side note, the 35/1.8 DX lens is a treat for the price. Way better than the F2 FF version, and thats at F1.8.</p>

<p>Another great sleeper lens is the Tokina 50-135/2.8. Good color, sharp wide open, good contrast, a little flare is certain conditions. With the 17-50 you would cover 95% of what you need at a typical wedding.</p>

<p>

<blockquote>

<p>im new photographer and i going to start shooting weddings</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...Hmm, did you just wake up today and decide that you wanted to do this??? <br>

You posted this thread a couple days ago, and didn't like the responses? I will reiterate what was said then... If you don't know what kind of lenses you need, besides "expensive ones" then you have no business shooting weddings.</p>

</p>

<p>I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but your post reeks of inexperience, and I have a hard time with the entire concept of NEW photographers shooting WEDDINGS... The most important piece of advice is to practice with whatever lenses you have, and see what you like or dislike about them and THEN seek better lenses to overcome the shortcomings of those lenses. Everyone has a different shooting style, and one man's "must have" lens might be completely worthless to another. Lens selection is about personal preference and shooting style. You MUST develop these before venturing off to capture someone's once-in-a-lifetime memories.</p>

<p><strong>"If you don't know what kind of lenses you need, besides "expensive ones" then you have no business shooting weddings."</strong><br />Agree Agree Agree<br />The only part I disagree with is that you weren't harsh enough.<br />Fernand, you clearly stated that you are a "new" photographer? WOW. I suggest asking an "established" photographer if you can practice with or be his apprentice but you can't expect to get any support on charging or even doing a wedding for free being inexperienced. That's just ethically and morally wrong.</p>

<p>I can't blame Fernand for his question. While this site is great for sharing knowledge and tech tips...its quite light on critical comments. Some of the issue's here are quite funny...."how does ISO and shutter speed work?". Why am i here? Because there is good info to be had here and I quite enjoy it. <br>

I learned photography as a wire shooter...often i would come back to the office to soup and file. My editor would look at my role of film...as he did he would place the garbage can next to him.....raise the loop...look at the film then promplty drop it all in the bin. Editor would then ask "what else do you have?". It was tough...but i did learn.<br>

I'm glad to see critical comments pointed towards this rather silly question about gear. Imagine if good gear made nice photos? The photo industry would be ruled by doctors and dentists!<br>

As a photojournalist. I shoot all sorts of things, from olympic games to conflict to the nicest flower garden on the street. I also shoot weddings and I sweat more and stress more about those shoots then anything right now. Sure anyone can make medicore photos...but if your a professional photographer then you have to ask yourself...as i often do...could my parents make the same photo that i just did? If the answer is yes.....then change something. Its a basic analogy but it works for me.<br>

To everyone...shoot more...make mistakes and learn from them. The progress will be amazing. Don't sweat the tech stuff too much.And look at photos! The more photos you look at the better you will become!<br>

Good luck to all.....don't quit and enjoy the process.<br>

Andre Forget</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"<strong>but if your a professional photographer then you have to ask yourself...as i often do...could my parents make the same photo that i just did? If the answer is yes.....then change something. Its a basic analogy but it works for me</strong> ."<br>

I wish I came up with that. Some really nice commentary Andre. Quite refreshing.</p>