EVF for GF1?

<p>I'm considering buying the Panasonic GF1 but am bummed that it lacks an optical viewfinder. Has anyone used the add-on EVF that is supposed to be available for it? Hoping to find out how usable it is and how good its coverage is. Wish I could find a small digital camera with a usable optical finder!</p>

<p>Have you considered a G1 instead?<br>

By the time you've added a viewfinder to the GF1 it's no smaller than the G1, and the EVF on the G1 is very good. And it's quite a bit cheaper too, even before adding on the cost of the external viewfinder.<br>

(I find the articulated lcd very useful as well)</p>

<p>I have seen comments from people who have tried the Panasonic accessory EVF over on the micro four-third's forum at DPReview and, by far, most who have tried it (not many) have been disappointed with it. The problem is, for an accessory EVF to be really good, it probably needs to be the size of the one Olympus is going to offer with the E-P2, and I have no idea if it can be used on the GF1.</p>

<p>Yeah, just took a look and that is a very large finder. I like Randy's idea of using the optical voigtlander and the pancake lens. Geoff, I appreciate the idea of the G1 but I just like the look of the GF. But I do wish it had a flip up monitor. I have that on my Olympus C-7070 and love it. So much to choose from. But none of it is exactly what I want. I wish Panasonic had left off the flash and put a real viewfinder there instead. Call me old fashioned but for some silly reason the ability to compose is still important to me and so often the image in the LCD is hard to see given bright or harsh light.</p>

<p>But the EVF in the G1 works wonderfully in bright and harsh sunlight. There are also head-up info like shutter speed and aperture etc.<br>

It is also wonderful for review of shots in the harshest sunlight and it has diopter adjustment.</p>

<p>The GF1's EVF is not the equal of the G1/GH1 models', but it's still pretty good for what it's supposed to do. An optical viewfinder gives a different kind of view of the scene. Both have their place.</p>

<p>The G1/GH1 are more complete and more versatile cameras than the GF1, but the GF1 should not be underestimated. All three do very well and make excellent photographs. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I am interested in the GF1 and to some extent the GH1. In fact, I think if the GH1 or GF1 had was in the G1 price range I would have already made a move. I just think the price point on those 2 cameras is high at the moment. Some competition in the "quality compacts" will help the wallets of us photographers very soon.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>the problem with adding an optical viewfinder is that you dont get any of the exposure information in the viewfinder. which means if you want to change the shutter speed or f-stop you have to stop, take the camera away from your eye, turn the display on, adjust, then put the viewfinder back up to your eye to frame. you also cannot use manual focusing nor do you have any idea what the camera's focusing on if you're using auto-focus.<br>

i've the GF-1 and the video finder. it's a lot like looking into the eyepiece of a video camera. but it's got the information you need.<br>

ymmv</p>