new Rebel announced in Europe

holger

Maybe it's old news, I just stumbled over the announcement of the new Rebel (EOS 300v) on the german Canon site. Features not very different from old one, but design changed (control wheel moved from left to right side of top, so it can be controlled by thumb, plus lcd screen on back in stead on top). More info (in german) under http://www.canon.de/presse/infos/fot/300v

Holger

I don't get the new 28-105 lens. It's a 4.5-5.6 rather than a 3.5 to 4.5. It still has a 58mm thread so what else has changed. Why release a lens that appears to be inferior? It's not like the 28-105 is an expensive lens, but with there now being an option to have it without USM maybe they are trying to make a more bargin bucket version.

I wonder what the 90-300 will be like? As for a new 28-90, who really cares.

<p>And you can also see that Canon didn't proofread the specs on the canoneos.com site mentioned above. You can choose "one of the following two" AF modes - a, b, or c. The camera claims to be able to adjust saturation and to make your pictures sepia or B&W, too - apparently someone borrowed that part of the specs from a digital camera :-) Still, it's quite possibly the biggest improvement yet from any Rebel to its successor.</p>

<p>The point of the new 28-105 f/4-5.6 USM is mentioned in the info on that lens that you can reach from canoneos.com - Canon wanted to make the smallest 28-105.</p>

I don't believe the 28-105 F4-5.6 is meant in any way to replace the 28-105 F3.5-4.5.

The slower optics suggest a new optical design, and the construction will presumably be all plastic, in common with the other lenses which give the option of DC or USM motors in that sort of focal length range. I suspect that the REAL reason for it is to replace the 28-80 mk II, which was kept on the books after the 28-90 was released due to the latter's poor optical performance, which has not been addressed in the mk II variant. As to the wisdom of releasing a cheap 28-105 as well as an updated 28-90, that's beyond me.

The 90-300 is likely a replacement for the 80-200 mk II. Given how cheap the 75-300 is, this also seems beyond me. Obviously none of these new lenses are aimed at the serious photographer, and will take their place alongside countless other kit lenses.

Satya, right now I would not exchange anything. A metal mount for the lens looks like more quality, but I would not bet on it. Features in general, especially the important ones (AF, exposure, DOF preview) obviously have not changed. And if moving the wheel from left to right and the lcd panel from top to back (where it wan't become cleaner through nose contact) improves anything, I don't know. Let's wait and see. I would have preferred to see a thumb wheel on the back in stead of the panel, but then Canon could have dumped the 30/7...

Enjoy your 300, invest in lenses ! Holger

The MTF charts for the "new" 28-105 seem pathetic compared to the 28-105 USM version. Just look at the drop in resolution as you move towards the edges. I hope this new piece of crap doesn't eventually replace the good old 28-105 just like the all-plastic 50/1.8-II replaced the sturdier 50/1.8.

What interests me is the move to a back panel LCD rather than a camera top surface LCD. Is this a 1-off or do Canon plan on making this move on other future bodies. Since they have to design digital cameras with a back LCD for image review perhaps this is going to be part of a trend for simplified manufacturing?

How do the ergonomics change. I can't tell if I'm just so used to looking at the top of every camera I've owned to see the settings that I'm resistant to change or if this really will be better / worse?

>>Shooting Modes

Full Auto, Program, Manual, Stitch Assist, Movie, Photo Effect (Vivid Color, Neutral Color, Low Sharpening, Sepia, Black & White).<<

Noticed this under the "specifications" for the Rebel Ti. What the heck?

Obviously, some specs for one of the digital cameras slipped into the Rebel Ti specs. They are not there if you download the brochure.

As for the location of the LCD, it seems that they moved the command dial to the top right side of the camera to make it easier to operate the camera one-handed and/or faster and that left no room for the LCD on the top. Hence they moved it to the back of the camera.

I think the biggest improvements are:

1. The stainless steel lensmount

2. The dioptric adjustment of the eyepiece

3. The superimposition and flashing of the focusing points

4. The claimed improvement in autofocusing performance

This is the 6th incarnation of the Rebel. Canon claims it is the best selling SLR and I am sure they wanted to stay ahead of the competion and maintain that market position. As for whether it establishes some trends toward the more upscale models, we can only wait and see.

I briefly handled the new Rebel Ti today. The large LCD panel on the back seems to be a nice touch, and from my short time playing with it, it seems to be a nice little camera. The focusing seems to be as fast as, if not faster than, the Elan 7. Nice and quiet, too. Major flaw - it still uses a penta-mirror instead of a prism, so the viewfider is very dark. The focusing points are still shown on the focusing screen as little boxes (the same as in the Elan 7), but instead of the boxes lighting up to indicate proper focus, there is now a very small dot in the centre of each box that glows red.

It's a camera that doesn't interest me personally, but it certainly ups the ante in the entry level market segment.

To throw out some idle speculation - based on the layout of the body this camera could well serve as the platform for a new, cheaper digital SLR...

With the LCD at the back, isn't this similar to the design on the Canon IX and IX Lite (and the Minolta 7?)? This probably allows for a more company design yet sufficiently large LCD screen. Not a bad idea - I wonder if this will be the future of Canon bodies. Just food for thought.

<i>Referring back to the mount. I don't feel comfortable still knowing its mounted on a ALL plastic body.</i>

<p>

What's the biggest lens someone is going to mount on this camera? Probably nothing much larger than a lightweight consumer 75-300mm lens. The Rebel Ti's primary user probably isn't going to be mounting a beefy 70-200/2.8L on it very regularly. And even if they did, at that point any knowledgeable user should know to support the lens with one hand while gripping the camera with the other. In other words, don't be an idiot and hold the camera with both hands on the camera body like you would if you were using a point-n-shoot camera. If you're dumb enough to do that, you deserve to have the lens shear off at the mount! I, for example, still sometimes use my old Rebel X (my first EOS) with the 100-400L IS. In the case of the Rebel X, I believe it has a plastic mounted attached to a plastic body. Supporting the lens, you can use the all plastic Rebel with complete confidence. On a tripod, the lens mounts to the tripod head via its tripod collar and the camera then mounts onto the lens. Total confidence there, too. So there's no need feeling unconfortable about all that. And if you can afford to buy big heavy glass, you can probably afford to drop a few more bucks to get an Elan 7.<p>

That being said, if using this camera with a lens such as the 70-200/4L (which does not come with a tripod collar), I would probably recommend getting a tripod collar for use with this camera on a tripod for stability's sake. When I use the 70-200/4L on my Elan IIe it's possible to see a bit of lens vibration because the length of this medium-weight lens is hanging out there unsupported. It would probably be even worse with the Rebel Ti, metal mount or no. At least with the Elan IIe I can use mirror lock to mimimize the possibility of any vibrational influence.