Shooting at campfire with EOS3 / EX550

johannes_minkus

I want to shoot persons sitting next to a campfire. I want to use

just a hint of flash - so that you don't see it at once.

I want to keep the atmosphere and the color of the fire. I guess,

I'll need a colored filter for the flash.

My question:

Does the automatic fill flash of the EOS 3 work in that situation?

What settings would you use?

Thanks for your comments!

Johannes

Use a tripod, Av or M mode, a yellow gel on the flash head and -1 to -2 flash AE comp (according to taste). Don't use P or Full Auto modes as they will not expose correctly for dim ambient light.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks so much for the answers.

Just one more to get it clear:

You know the EOS3 has a automatic fill flash function. The camera calculates how much fill light is needed - at daylight this works beautifully. But does this also work in dark situations? If I reduce the flash output by -1 or -2 this goes ontop of the automatic reduction - but the amount of the automatic reduction I do not know.

Have you made any experience with this? Did you disable this automatic fill-flash function?

The automatic fill flash reduction will not work in your typical campfire setting because it's too dark. That is, only when it's bright outside will the camera automatically reduce the flash output. In your situation you need to apply the flash compensation manually. (In bright conditions, flash compensation is applied over and above the automatic fill flash reduction)

If you are concerned about the automatic fill flash reduction program, there is a custom function (CF 14 on the EOS 3) which will cancel it so that you can feel free to apply your own compensation which would otherwise be applied on top of the auto program in bright conditions. (The auto fill flash reduction program applies increasingly more reduction as brightness increases.)

Just for your reference, I have a table of automatic flash exposure compensation for the Elan II, which is likely to be the same for your EOS 3 (but I don't know for sure).

For EV from 23 down to 13, AFEC is -1 1/2 stops.

For EV 12, AFEC is -1 stop.

For EV 11, AFEC is -1/2 stop.

For EV 10 down to -1, AFEC is 0 stops.

I have a little label on my cameras which notes that EV 10 (where AFEC has dropped to 0) is 1/60 @f4. I can mentally calculate the other conditions from there.

The Lumiquest FX system contains an orange filter that works very well for adding flash to fire or candle light.

The most important thing to remember about Canon's E-TTL flash system is that the flash exposure is based on the active focusing point at the time of exposure. If you focus with the center point and recompose your results may be way off.

There are a few techniques: use manual focus point selection and keep your AF point over your subject while you shoot (this is easy enough when the subjects are still), use FE Lock (see the manual), or put the lens into MF mode--flash exposures are then based on a full frame averaged reading rather than a spot reading. You will still want some negative exposure compensation: I'd suggest -1.5 or -2 EV.

Read the manual, use slow-sync, and shoot lots of film; you will be fine.

I am not a big fan of automatics in tricky light situations. Your mind can do so much more than the cameras electronics. Here is what I would do.

Take a meter reading off both the Fire and Subject. Set the exposure for the fire and fill with the flash.

You "may" want to warm the flash with a gel but I don't think it is a necessity. Also think about the shutter speed. Do you want motion/blurry fire (slow shutter) or a more frozen/translucent flame (higher shutter).

Best of luck!