Newbie Question ? for 40d & Mac

westsidesurfing

<p>

<p>Hi, i just purchased a used Canon 40d in mint condition. My question is, do I need to use the EOS digital solution software for downloading images to my Mac, or is there an advantage in using this software . The CD did not come with my purchase, so im wondering if i need to find and use it. With my old point and shoot digital cameras ive just always plugged in the camera to my mac and double clicked on icon, and dragged photos over. Is this not recommended for this type of camera or ? Please someone with knowledge inform me thoroughly. - ( on the canon site, under downloads, I see the updated versions for the software, but i tried to install and it says its an update and I need the original software or cd.)<br>

thank you</p>

</p>

<p>Just drag the files you should have no problem. If shooting JPEG, any mac can open and view. For raw I believe you need software to view/edit. DPP is canon and you can download latest version 3.7.2 from their website. Its free. Once you are there you can download EOS utility to download files to your mac. I recommend getting aperture, lightroom or adobe ps4 with bridge to view and edit RAW files. You can get an academic version of lightroom 2.5 for 68 dollars here in the US, at any local university or college. Ebay and Amazon also have academic versions.</p>

<p>I definitely will be shooting some raw files. So do i understand you correctly that i can just drag the raw files & jpegs over to my mac, but if i want to view or edit the raw files i need software for that. ( I have photo shop cs3 will that do? ) The software you suggest for viewing and editing raw files is "DPP" ?<br>

And the Eos utility is just for transfering files from camera to computer, is that correct? I tried to download the EOS utility on Canon usa website in the downloads section. After i downloaded the utility, when i tried to install it it says its an update and i need the original program on my computer or the original cd. I tried all utility versions on the download page and got the same problem when tried to install. The software does not seem available other than the updates, where i need original software already on my computer. <br>

Any help, much appreciated.</p>

<p>1) DPP is for editing RAW and you can drag and drop files just fine.<br>

2)photoshop cs3 I almost sure it will handle 40D RAW files. But you need to update the latest ACR(adobe camera Raw plugin). However, Photoshop cs3's ACR does not support 50D and later canon camera RAW. You need PS CS4.<br>

3)Eos utility is for transferring RAW and Jpegs to you computer but it also allows you to shoot the camera from your computer.<br>

4)And unfortunately you do need the actual cd, al old version should work.<br>

Where do you live? I might have an extra one around somewhere.</p>

<p>You probably have iPhoto on your Mac. When you plug in the 40D (CF card or USB cable), it should automatically open the files on the CF card (unless you disabled this in the preferences). Click on import. iPhoto will open RAW but you have no control over tweaks. Anyway, you should be able to get started with iPhoto and can install the Canon apps later when you get an original CD to update. If you like the iPhoto interface, you might consider buying Aperture. It has wonderful editing tools and works seamlessly with iPhoto libraries if you used them in the past.</p>

<p>Actually I have PS CS3 and, with the latest ACR, it does fully support both the 40D and 50D. It doesn't support the 5DII and 7D.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>My situation ; I have a Canon 40D (new) and a Macbook Pro and download my RAW output directly into iPhoto. I find iPhoto much easier to use, it will handle RAW and convert to TIFF if thats what you want. The reason I don't use any Canon software is because I find it clumsy and no where near as full-featured as iPhoto. Just my preference. Iphoto upgrades should be easy for you to find and download. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>iphoto, is crop, use cs3 to bring in your images from your cf card and get a a good photo browser like Photomechanic, I still cant believe people actually use iphoto, they owe it to themselfs to try something different, try it free at there site <a href="http://www.camerabits.com/pages/demoreg.cgi">here</a><br>

Ross</p>

<p>I agree with Ross: iPhoto handles RAW files in a technical sense, but its editing tools are atrocious.</p>

<p>If you're going to shoot RAW to get the <strong>best</strong> out of your images, do yourself a favour and get a <strong>dedicated</strong> RAW application like Lightroom or Aperture.</p>

<p>On a side note Canon's DPP is clumsy and has an awful user interface, so not much point bothering with that.</p>

<p>@Martin: I know. So I do.<br>

You can put the CD into the computer or you must install the Canon-suite. <br>

The updater do not work on my MacBook pro. Then I have booting the system from an external drive and now the updater runs.<br>

And on my new MacMini they work.<br>

Now I get a new harddisc and i hope this will solve the problem. But i'm afraid that this will not. I Think that canon has a great quality problem with their products!</p>