7D Medium RAW conversion

robertjewett

<p>I shot a fashion show last night and I switched to MRAW because I was running out of room on my card.</p>

<p>Now, I cannot open the images in LR 2.5 or PS. I have downloaded and installed ACR5.5. I have tried Adobe's DNG converter, all to no avail. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I have tried every bit of software that came with the camera. I am stumped.</p>

<p>Guys, exactly how can I convert these to something I can use? I have clients waiting...and I am pulling my hair out.</p>

<p>As Puppy says you need to open in DPP3.7 convert and then edit in Photoshop. I used ACR a few times with the 7D and was very unhappy - I thought it was the camera but it is the software - even at Full RAW the ACR images are poor. I have also noticed that on the preview that since I upgraded to the latest ACR Beta vcersion my 5DII previews sometimes show some large red pixels which are not present once I open the photo but which are quite distracting. As Peter says ACR is very bad with high ISo 7D images.</p>

<p>DPP can process your mRAW<br>

regarding 7D processing ....<br>

I was using DPP for all processing.<br>

I switched to this method --- I am getting sharper and better controlled noise in images<br>

- process image in DPP with sharpening at 0, all noise reduction at 0<br />- output from DPP at 16 bit per pixel TIF<br />- open 16 bit per pixel TIF in Adobe Photoshop CS 4 64bit<br />- arbitrary rotate if required<br />- apply noise reduction using 64bit Neat Image v6.1 (auto profile, auto fine tune)<br />- apply smarp sharpen at 121% (with extra precision option selected)<br />- apply auto contrast, or auto color if required<br />- convert to 8 bits<br />- save as maximum quality JPG<br>

The skies look good in the images, and the sharpness is better.<br>

This works great at least until Adobe releases a non-beta Adobe Camera Raw converter update to try.<br>

I would be curious to hear how others are processing 7D images.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If there is any negative feeling, it is central to the hurdles I am having to take with processing 7D RAW files. Since I am an Aperture, I praying to the Apple Photo gods that they will release an update real soon. However, being a sports shooter, games and events are not waiting. Post prod has been modified a bit and includes the following:</p>

<ol>

<li>Using DPP to process the RAW files ... identical to the setting Paul noted previously.</li>

<li>Save out of DPP as a 16-bit TIFF (of sometimes JPG)</li>

<li>Import into Aperture. Massage the pics as usual ... tweak white balance if needed, a little sharpening, edge sharpening, etc.</li>

<li>Export the pre-final as a JPG ... high quality.</li>

<li>Noise reduction completed outside Aperture with Noise Ninja (stand along apps is very fast ... kicks a$$ over the Aperture plug-in)</li>

<li>Photo is posted online as needed.</li>

</ol>

<p>Any other Aperture-heads out there doing anything different?</p>