Photoshop and memory question

<p ><strong ></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Hello, I am running XP pro with SP3 and 4 GB of RAM installed. (<em >Please see system information below</em>) I am using Photoshop CS with a separate 300 GB hard drive dedicated solely as a scratch disk. My cache setting is at level 4 and I have memory usage set to 85%. Under memory usage preferences it states that the available RAM is 1751mb so with the 85% allowed to PS that leaves 1499mb. Here’s the problem. While using the liquefy tool I am constantly running out of memory after just a few adjustments to the image. Can anyone advise me on how to maximize performance and allow PS to use more RAM? I don’t understand why Windows shows 4GB but PS says available RAM is 1751? I know other processes and programs utilize RAM but over 2GB?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Any advice or insight would be much appreciated</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thank you!</p>

<p >Jeff</p>

<p > </p>

<p >OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional</p>

<p >Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600</p>

<p >System Model Dell DXP061</p>

<p >Processor x 86 Family 6 Models 15 Stepping 6 Genuine Intel ~2128 MHz</p>

<p >Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB</p>

<p >Available Physical Memory 2.15 GB</p>

<p >Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB</p>

<p >Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB</p>

<p >Page File Space 4.84 GB</p>

<p>In 32 bit OS like XP Pro, Photoshop by default can access only the first 2GB of RAM and since the OS uses some of this RAM it ussually shows 1.6 to 1.7 GB as available memory. You can find the information from Adobe <a href="http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/320/320005.html">here</a><br>

There is a way to change the Windows configuration to use up to 3 GB as in this MS <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx">document</a> but it is not guaranteed to work. You will have to try.</p>