Old Extension tubes with modern DSLRs. Limitations?

jamesjems

<p>I'm looking at using some extension tubes for the first time. Scanning ebay, I see some that are called "non-AI". Not sure what that means w/respect to extension tubes, so I'm asking.<br>

One troublesome worry: tell me what I'm doing wrong: Okay, assuming I get these 'non-AI' tubes to mount on my D3, will I actually be able to use Manual Mode and change the diaphram on the lens? I've noticed that if I put my AF nikon lenses on my machine, adjust both camera and lens to manual everything, flip the little orange dot switch on the lens barrel and try to turn/use the aperture ring manually, my D3 flashes "EE" at me. I expected that.<br>

What I didn't expect was that my camera wouldn't let the shutter fire if I had the aperture ring turned (unlocked).<br>

I need it to fire. I need it to allow me to go manual everything and let me do the thinking.<br>

My concern: if the extension rings won't allow stop-down data to travel to the lens...and the diaphram won't close down to what's displayed on the camera, will I not be able to trip the shutter? Will this limit my choices as to what extension rings will work with a D3?</p>

<p>Regarding the Non-AI, You will need to change the custom function for aperture selection from the aperture ring to the sub-command dial. You will need to shoot in Manual mode, trial and error for shutter speed.<br>

I have the D700 and the Nikon PK13 non-ai tube. <br>

And I do not think you can shoot faster than full aperture, wide open. That's a bummer.<br>

I suggest the AI or AF versions. Kenko AF versions are same price on Ebay today as B&H.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you Don!<br>

I never realized that there was a custom function that allowed me to use the aperture dial. But there it is...Custom F7...I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief. I can now spin the aperture dial manually and I'll "go."<br>

I'll "pull the trigger" on the Vivitar non-Ai set of tubes...<br>

phew!</p>

<p>I use the old M2 extension tube from my 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor with my D2H. The rear of the tube completely clears the aperture indexing tab so it's not a problem - it's not AI, per se, but not even a factor since it doesn't touch the tab.</p>

<p>I use the M2 tube most often with lenses other than the 55/3.5 Micro. For example, my old non-AI 180/2.8 Nikkor produces beautiful closeups (not macro) with the M2 tube. Good for very tight portraits or other closeups. And it's the only way I can fit the 180/2.8 to the D2H without damage, since the rear of that lens will mash the tab on the body.</p>

<p>Metering can require a bit of guesswork. Usually I'll use a handheld incident or spotmeter when using the M2 with manual focus lenses on the D2H. Gets me close enough, then I'll make minor adjustments based on the histogram.</p>

<p>James, regarding that F7 you found, keep it handy. While in live view, some lenses don't work when F7 set the change the aperture on the lens. You must select aperture with command dial. Otherwise, live view is dead on my Nikon Nikkor 16mm AF-d, Zeiss ZF 25, 50, 100, and Voigtlander 20mm. My other AF Nikkors and AIs Nikkors work fine with Live View. Also, find the Custom Function for Exposure delay. When you are on the tripod, it gives a one-second delay before releasing the shutter - settles the camera down from hand motion.<br>

I don't like "G" because I've always controlled my shot by aperture and I've always rotated the dial, starting in high school in the 80's with Pentax K1000, Canon AE-1, in the 90's with Nikon N6006 and N90s and now with the D700. But some of the G lenses are simply wonderful glass. It makes perfect design sense to remove the cost, weight and breakable parts from the lens, I'm just spoiled.</p>