What would be your "dream" MF camera?

john_layton

<p>OK....maybe this is a bit "out there," but here goes!</p>

<p>After having spent years photographing with lots of different gear (some of it of my own design/construction), and also years perusing this and other MF forums, I get the sense that there is something missing in the realm of MF...even with the acknowledgment/understanding that "one camera cannot do it all." Why do I say this? Well, consider the following "issues" which seem to persist:<br>

- "I love the portability of my Mamiya 7, but miss being able to do closeups"<br>

- "6X7 sometimes feels too close to being square, but 6X9 can be to long"<br>

- "I like to shoot square for some subjects, but not others"<br>

- "My RZ system offers such amazing flexibility, but its just too big to carry around"<br>

- etc, etc....</p>

<p>Two Possible Solutions:<br>

System One: A rangefinder, much like a Mamiya 7, but in a 6X8 format (9 frames per 120 roll)<br>

- with an even progression of focal lengths, like maybe 50, 75, 110, 165, 250 (yikes, but read on!)<br>

- available "mirror-box" accessory, much like a Leica's old Visoflex, but modernized to include metering (auto and manual), dual-trip mechanism (like Hassy, etc.) to allow for leaf shutter use...and useable with the above mentioned 110 and 165 by changing focussing mounts, and with the 250mm lens, which would be dedicated to this reflex accessory. <br>

- or perhaps the 110 is too short for reflex viewing, and should be offered with a closeup lens/viewer accessory - leaving both the 165 and 250 dedicated to the reflex viewer? <br>

- offer a "format shift option" (like the new Fuji/Voigtlander 6X7) to allow shooting in 6X8, 6X6, and maybe 645.<br>

- other ideas?<br>

System Two: Modular.... <br>

- Start with a 6X8 film back. <br>

- Now offer a mirror box/bellows assembly accessory (much like an RZ, or maybe with movements, like a Fuji GX).<br>

- Also offer a rangefinder accessory - consisting of a rangefinder body (much like a Graflex XLRF/Mamiya Universal), which will accept the above mentioned 6X8 filmback.<br>

- Offer a series of lenses dedicated to the "reflex (accessory) system" (including wide angles, to allow for accurate close up framing)<br>

- Offer a series of lenses dedicated to the "rangefinder (accessory) system" (to take advantage of short back focus)<br>

- offer a "format shift option" (like the new Fuji/Voigtlander 6X7) to allow shooting in 6X8, 6X6, and maybe 645.<br>

- other ideas?</p>

<p>Yes, I know...the potential for complications/expense/size-weight issues, etc. could be staggering - but maybe not.<br>

It is likely that any totally new system would also need to be digital capable - and along these lines, wouldn't it be great to snap on a live view digital back - tremendously expensive as it would be full frame 6X8cm (but maybe mount four smaller sensors together and incorporate "auto stitching" software?) - then incorporate some modest (don't want to tax those pixels!) view camera type movements?<br>

Considering what I've just written...it seems like a rangefinder based system, with the (Visoflex-like) mirror box accessory would be the most useful/novel - while a modular based system would be duplicating whats already available as separate systems.<br>

Hmmm...maybe what I'm really missing are simply two good 6X8 systems, one rangefinder and one reflex, with a truly even progression of focal lengths, and some kind of closeup accessory for at least one of the rangefinder lenses. And if this is the case, then I certainly wouldn't mind having a rangefinder 6X8 with a collapsible front-panel, like the Mamiya 6.<br>

At any rate, does anybody else want to throw caution to the winds and dream a little? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>PS - my other dream MF would be a 6X8 version of the new folding Voigtlander - with interchangeable 50/75/110 mm lenses, and closeup accessory lens/viewer for the 110. And (why not?) offer both a film version of this, as well as a digital live view version (with a folding finder with flip up magnifier). Oh...I've gotta get back to work!</p>

<p>1) A Visoflex type attachment, simple (like the Viso II) and not necessaily automatic, for the Mamiya 6 or 7, with a compatible 90 or 120mm macro lens. (At the same time, Mamiya, a 38mm lens for the 6, and the ressurection of this camera).</p>

<p>2) A Fuji 6x9 "IV" model, with interchangeable and upgraded quality lenses, as well as a Visoflex type attachment and 100 or 150mm macro lens.</p>

<p>3) A cheaper but high quality Alpa type camera, with macro possibility and 6x9 or 6x7 backs. Automation of shutter cocking and film advancement</p>

<p>Pure dreaming, of course, but definitely (IMHO) some camera characteristics that have been missed by Mamiya, Fuji and others. </p>

<p>I'm building it at the moment!</p>

<p>6x12 format (6 shots on a roll of 120), 65mm f8 Super Angulon in a focusing helical stolen from an Olympus lens. Oak outer casing and using parts salvaged from a defunct Mamiya C33.</p>

<p>This is intended to be used on a tripod but should be o.k. hand held too.</p>

<p>It needs up-dating but there is some info here: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html</p>

<p>Should be slightly larger than a Hasselblad. All aluminium unibody construction. Fast lenses like 80/2.0 , 150/2,8 , 250/4 in silver barrel like the old Hasselblad-optics. 6x6 digital sensor with 100 megapixel should be suitable. High iso range up to 100.000 or so with good quality. Central shutter with at least 1/1000s max shutter time. AF is not required, but dedicated metering with waist level finder would be nice. Should allow to connect directly to an external hard drive. <br />I think all this would be possible today!<br />Regards, Benjamin<br /><br />PS: For classic Black and White I would still use my Rolleiflex SL66. </p>

<p>In Hasselblad it would be the 203FE. Would just love the metering and motor wind for air to air shots, together with those beautiful fast 100 and 150 FE lenses.<br /> Other than that, I would trade everything I have, Hasselblads, Leica M and assorted 35 SLRs for <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Technika-Master-Vb-6x9-w-3-Lenses-Finder-Back_W0QQitemZ120479977000QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item1c0d2a8e28">this</a> .<br>

Scroll down and take it all in.</p>

<p>I know what you mean Steve. By the time I attach a 150mm lens, 70mm mag, pistol grip and prism ... wow!<br>

It's fun to see the MK70 floating weightless in Nasa footage, and in the film Apollo 13. But I will be using the ELM/70 outfit next year when the 'open cockpit' season starts again. Only I will be shooting from a high-wing monoplane, not in the Moth you see me in here (celebrating my 60th this last June) ... ready to take off from a grass WWII airfield in Surrey, England.<br>

(Sorry, this was supposed to be about cameras .. wasn't it?)</p><div>00Uvdj-187181584.jpg.3b67bd1806b99fc2d2b9258d05167932.jpg</div>

<p>My dream is a slightly lighter Crown Graphic, maybe with a builtin meter. Foldable, easily carried, rangefinder for handheld, ground glass for more critical focusing and composition. </p>

<p>I'm finding MF to be less and less relevant to me. I keep looking at all the 120 film in my fridge and just don't have any motivation to shoot it.</p>

<p>My dream MF camera would be the form factor of a Sigma DP-2 with at least a 100 megapixel sensor with a dynamic range of at least 20 stops and no noise up to an ISO of 800.<br /> I'm over big cameras and big lenses. And I love the idea of being able to see a photo from afar and then walking up to it and sticking my nose to it and seeing minute detail - like the LF prints can. Oh, speaking of LF, I also want the ability to tilt the lens on my dream MF camera with a Sigm DP2 form factor and the 100 megapixel 14 stop no noise sensor.</p>

<p>Currently under construction: A Rolleicord II with a Rolleiflex lens assembly shroud that allows 'flex type viewing of the selected shutter speed/ f-stop and a Kiev 45 degree prism.<br>

The Rolleicord body allows easier focusing with a flash mounted. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Only I will be shooting from a high-wing monoplane, not in the Moth you see me in here (celebrating my 60th this last June) ... ready to take off from a grass WWII airfield in Surrey, England.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Excellent. The first aircraft I flew in was a Tiger Moth. I had built its owner an intercom system and a flight was part payment. I forgot to take a camera with me though!</p>

<p>I you flying that from the front seat? And am I correct in thinking that all the Tiger Moths were for training and had dual controls?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(Sorry, this was supposed to be about cameras .. wasn't it?)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well.. it was!</p>

<p>I have tried most of the medium format cameras, and there is no perfect one. Hasselblad comes closest, but 6x7 is my preferred format for 120. I have just ordered a Mamiya RB67SD, in the hopes that it will be usable. The problem with most Japanese cameras is that the lenses are not nearly as good as those from the German manufacturers, especially in B&W. All I want from this camera is 6x7 inch enlargements. I question whether it will be good enough even for that, but wish it were. It is my last hope for an easily usable 120 camera that shoots bigger than 6x6. If it is not good enough, I will give up and get an Ebony 6x9 that takes my view camera lenses (Schneider & Rodenstock, both excellent). I currently have and like a Hass and a Rollei twin. Past 120 cameras include a 6x7 Pentax, a Bronica, Mamiyas in 6x6, 6x7 (RZ) and 6x4.5, a Yashica twin, Rollei SL66, other Hasselblads and Rolleis and probably several others that I don't remember (memory going). I have been recently re-interested in the format after trying the extaordinary new version of Tri-X 400, which is vastly superior to the earlier versions. I also have a lot of Rollei R3 120 left from when I used to import it. The R3 is grainy and not good for big enlargements, but has an unusually beautiful tonality if enlarged 2-3x.</p>

<p>I think that the Mamiya Press series offers a good compromise. You can crop the 6x9 to 6x8, and contrary to another poster who feels that Japanese lenses let us down, Mamiya display their lens-making skills with the Press / Universal lenses (and many of their other lenses too). Sharpness is one of their great features.</p>

<p>For close-ups, you probably don't need speed, so with the Press series, you can find extension tubes, ground glass backs, and a reflex viewer. You can also have rear tilt too.</p>

<p>A good review is to be found here:<br>

http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentreviews/classic_historical/0504sb_classic/<br>

and here:<br>

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_Press<br>

and in what must be one of the longer-lasting but short threads here, some user feedback on these cameras:<br>

http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/0002lR</p>